Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

03 WJ LTD Daily Duty/ weekend warrior upgrades...

83K views 404 replies 54 participants last post by  platinum5.9 
#1 · (Edited)
Purchased the grand from a local dealer after coming to the reality that my 98 5.9 was needing something new every week or so. Its a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with white exterior and agate/black leather interior. Drivetrain is a 4.7HO with a 545RFE trans 247 transfer case and quadra drive axles. Started out adding the typical things I add to every vehicle...rainguards, husky liners ect. It came from the previous owner with a set of smoked Altezza tail lights,which I was not a fan of, so I got a can of VHT niteshade and went to town. Tail lights turned out ok and I can live with them. Them came a used set of factory chrome tow hooks from a member here. Over the period of a year give or take I collected misc parts and did a lot of reading and research. I came up with a set of Old Man Emu HD springs, Pro Comp MX6 shocks, 1" Extreme Engineering spacers, Old Man Emu Steering Stabilizer, and Kevin's "Fit Kit". For rims and tires I found a set of painted Moab wheels on ebay with 0 miles for a good deal and four 255/75/17 BFG Muds from a local Jeep guy. At this point I was sick of having a bunch of parts in the garage waiting to go on. I was still wanting to get a JKS track bar IRO rear links but with funds being low at the time I decided to go ahead and get the lift on and take my chances. I ended up doing the lift in my driveway by myself in about 4.5-5hrs including the OME SS. Over all I am extremely pleased with this set up and it rides much better than stock and is a joy to drive. I did a very small amount of bumper trimming in the front. Future plans are...JKS track bar, IRO rear links, Addco rear sway bar, IRO bar pin eliminators, Hella black magic driving lights, MBRP Black Finish T304 stainless steel tip, muffler delete, JCR stage 3 rock rails, and Rustys transfer case skid. I will keep this updated as I add more...Thanks for looking!

dealer photo

VHT Niteshade

BFG tires

My little helper...

See less See more
#2 ·
Jeeps looks good :thumbsup: Anything else waiting to go on ?

#3 ·
Just the things i listed that I still want to buy, nothing that i have at this point! Of course the list is longer than i listed but that next year or so...

#4 ·
Your running into the same problem as me...i gotta trim off that rear bumper a bit...its rubbing when the suspension flex.

#10 ·
Nothing really new or parts added yet. I love this suspension more and more everyday tho...:2thumbsup:

#11 ·
So the only lift you have is the OME HD springs? I have a set of tires and wheels just like yours sitting in the garage and I'm trying to decide on the cheapest and best riding way to install them...and it sounds like this may be it. I'd much rather use springs than a BB. Where did you get your spring? Did you ad anything else besides shocks?

#12 ·
Used OME springs I got off the jeepsunlimited for sale section and 1" spacers. It rides awesome and only needed a small amount of front bumper trimming.

#13 ·
How big are the springs, 3"?

I'm having mine put on tomorrow. A good friend of mine pointed someone to do it for me pretty cheap. Overtime at work has kept me from doing it myself.

Sweet looking WJ. White looks great on these vehicles. :cool:

#14 ·
Old Man Emu HD springs are 2.5" new. With the 1" spacers that should put it at 3.5" but I think being the springs are used that the were settled. I think it sits right at about 3". Hub to fender measurements are 20 3/4" at all four corners. I believe stock the jeep sits around 17" give or take...?

#17 ·
Do I have any other plans? Yes of course...:laugh:Do I have any money? No LOL:(. Short terms plans are some sort of transfer case skid, Hella bumper lights, JCR sliders, and maybe by next spring more lift? Time and money will tell...:2thumbsup:

#19 ·
I am going to go ahead and put a list of things that I have planned for the near future as a reminder for myself and others to view.
-Duplicolor bedliner on rockers (done)
-Hitch Tow Shackle (done)
-Custom Power Inverter Setup
-IRO Premium Sliders (done)
-Tranfer case skid plate (done)
-GTP hood vents
-Black projector headlight housings (done)
-HID bulbs (done)
-Hella Black Magic bumper lights
-CB (done)
-F/R Diff fluid change (done)

#20 ·
Dont know how I skipped over this thread.. one main thing I want to know about is how the exhaust sounds without the muff. Video is on demand :D

Also, nice list you got there. I wish I could find some hood vents. Probably could if I looked hard enough.

#22 ·
BDS sponsored Outback Off-Road Adventure

Arrival

RTI ramp...not to bad for 3" lift, stock end links still connected

#24 ·
Steve we only got a few pictures on the trail as we were moving along pretty good and I was focusing on the trails. Next time I will make Erik run next to the jeep the whole time lol!

#25 ·
My jeep did the 6hr round trip with no problems to speak of and I was very impressed with the quadra-drive system on the trail, it worked flawless and did more than I ever expected. I aired the bfg muds down to 20 psi and they worked very well in the rocks, slick rock, mud, and dirt. I removed the front bumper to avoid ruining it on the trails. The OME HD springs and the MX6 flexed well and rode thru the trails just as I was hoping. I had very minimum if any rubbing and had the the tires stuffed plenty of time. I was very happy with the trails and the performance of my whole set up.

#26 ·
Small update...I got a stock transfer case skid from a member and put it on. It paid for itself the first 20 mins I was on the trail. I also painted my rockers with duplicolor bedliner. I had a few small spots of rust that I grinded down and primed prior to spraying the duplicolor. I will taking a few pictures just to document things i've done. I also picked up a cheap cb and antenna for trail use and found another 255/75/17 BFG mud so now I have a spare. Now I am in search of a 5th moab rim to put it on.

Next small project I plan on doing is a on-board air setup that will be mounted in my spare tire well. Over the next few months I am going to be collecting parts in hopes to have this system complete by spring.

-Chassis Tech 3 Gallon Pancake Air Tank
Chassis Tech 3 Gallon Pancake Air Tank
-Superflow MV50 air compressor
Amazon.com: Q Industries MV50 SuperFlow Hi-Volume Air Compressor: Automotive: Reviews, Prices & more
-MF-1050 / MV50 compressor
-1-to-5 port manifold
-Viair 85-105 PSI pressure switch
-115 PSI safety valve
-Inexpensive adjustable regulator
-30A relay
-50-foot air hose
-Clip-on tire chuck
-Couplers, thread adapters, electrical connectors
Heres the write up I found where I got all the information 4x4Wire - Portable Onboard Air Installation

#28 ·
I've been meaning to get a video of the exhaust its just been on the bottom of the priority list. I will do my best to get one up soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.