Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

ZJ Crush Sleeve Won't Crush

1K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Evildriver-3 
#1 ·
Hey so I need to replace my front pinion seal. I don't have time to do it myself so I brought it to my trusted mechanic.

However, when he went to replace the seal, he couldn't get the crush sleeve to move back into the shaft. He said they even tried prying it a little, but it won't budge so I we can't replace the seal.

Has anybody else had this problem? How do I fix or go around this? My seal is leaking and I am driving from Florida to Colorado next week. :confused:

#2 ·
I am not exactly sure what you're explaining as per can't get the CC to move on the shaft, the CC is behind the front pin bearing.

You should see competent DRIVELINE shops only when having stuff like this done, a trusted mechanic is nice, but as you see now. . .

#3 ·
Thanks. Yeah, I was talking about the shaft immediately behind the front differential. You loosen the nut on the shaft and it's supposed to slide back, but it wouldn't for him. Idk why.

Either way thanks for the advice. I did end up taking it to a shop that specializes in Jeep diffs and they didn't have a problem. :)

#4 ·
Are you talking about the front "Driveshaft" ? And are you talking about the nut setting the length on a rzeppa shaft that you NEVER EVER touch ? That is not supposed to move or ever be adjusted

Or are you saying you couldn't get the end yoke off ?

#5 ·
:rolleyes: Yep front drive shaft. And lol, length setting on the rzeppa shaft sounds about like what he was messing with.. lol Either way, all appears fine. Seeing he couldn't get it to budge anyway, I'm not too concerned. He still should have known though. :)

What would that screw up anyway? Seems as though moving that wouldn't really hurt anything anyway.

#6 ·
Give him a biff for touching that, that's a get smacked part if it's touched or attempted to be touched.

Moving that will destroy the rzeppa, the rzeppa has it's own movement designed into it, moving that even .25 of an inch and you ruined it, since now it will either pull apart or push apart since it is now shorter or longer for the travel or plunge/telescoping room it is designed for.
I used to see people walk in the shop and have done all kinds of unspeakable things to it to get it to move and then wreck the rzeppa and want it fixed and i would take it and drop it in the garbage.

. Tell him if he doesn't know why or what it is the rule of thumb is DO NOT TOUCH IT, lol or it becomes a very expensive lesson

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.