Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Yukon ultimate 88 or ???

3K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  000shock 
#1 ·
So i got my 8.8 swap done last year, and now i believe my axle bearings are about hashed. Instead of a factory replacement, id like to do a c clip elim but there isnt much on them the way of reviews. Short of the companies bragging about them! Ive heard superior is pretty much out of the picture, and the only other options ive seen are yukon, moser or strange (no shafts tho?). Any opinions or other options?

The strength upgrade is great with yukon, but the extra width is what i really need for clearance. Prob end up on 35's someday so want to build accordingly! Thanks all!

#3 ·
biffgnar said:
I have no idea what Revolution is offering for 8.8 but I'd definitely check there. Was started by ex-Superior people. Gear sets are quality Circle K manufactured and axle shafts are US made Foote shafts.
Just checked around their site. Looks like they have some good stuff on there. Better than oem for sure! I couldnt find anything for a c clip eliminator tho. Thanks for the idea tho biff.

#6 ·
RWKHaus said:
Careful with other than Yukon, I think the others use a roller (Not Taper) bearing...
K. What is the benefit of tapered over roller bearings? I was thinking if the shaft itself is the "race" so to speak a roller bearing would be correct. I havent seen the bearings first hand tho.

#7 ·
I wouldn't spend any money on it, if your profile is correct, and you are running ~33" tires.

C-clips in the Jeep world get a bad rap because of the crappy Dana 35. In the 8.8, they are pretty reliable. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of them. I just think they sound strong enough for you based on your profile info.

If you were running 37" tires, then the c-clip eliminator would make more sense for you.

If your axle shaft is worn, they make repair bearings for 8.8 that are wider and will run on a different (virgin) part of the axle shaft. Look at "SKF R1559" - I found it at Rock Auto. Junkyard axle shafts are always an option, of course.

#8 ·
StanF said:
I wouldn't spend any money on it, if your profile is correct, and you are running ~33" tires. C-clips in the Jeep world get a bad rap because of the crappy Dana 35. In the 8.8, they are pretty reliable. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of them. I just think they sound strong enough for you based on your profile info. If you were running 37" tires, then the c-clip eliminator would make more sense for you. If your axle shaft is worn, they make repair bearings for 8.8 that are wider and will run on a different (virgin) part of the axle shaft. Look at "SKF R1559" - I found it at Rock Auto. Junkyard axle shafts are always an option, of course.
Its not so much the c clips that bother me. It is a rear disc axle, so my breaking would suffer from a shaft break but it shouldnt actually come out of the housing. I need bearings anyways, and i want the extra width to get my tires away from everything.

#12 ·
000shock said:
K. What is the benefit of tapered over roller bearings? I was thinking if the shaft itself is the "race" so to speak a roller bearing would be correct. I havent seen the bearings first hand tho.
still curious RWK. More info?

#14 ·
u2slow said:
Axle bearings on a c-clip axle are cheap and easy to do with proper tools. If extra width is required, the F150 8.8" is ~6" wider overall than the exploder.
i dont think ive done bearings on a c clip before, but i dont have the tools myself anyways. Always did bearings at a buddies shop before, which isnt an option anymore.

Im looking to match my front width as close as poss, and the exploder rear is already under my rig. 6" is a bit wide for what i need. Thanks tho!

#15 ·
The slide hammer with axle bearing attachments is a very worthwhile investment.

My peeve with the Explorer axle is it forces you into spacers, or different wheels anyway since it's narrower than stock. 6" wider axle puts you 4" over stock... Same width as 2" wheel spacers.

#16 ·
u2slow said:
The slide hammer with axle bearing attachments is a very worthwhile investment. My peeve with the Explorer axle is it forces you into spacers, or different wheels anyway since it's narrower than stock. 6" wider axle puts you 4" over stock... Same width as 2" wheel spacers.
Agreed. Im no fan of spacers either. The yukon kit adds 3/4-1" of width on both sides, putting it about the same as factory d35. The only reason i have spacers at all is because they also adapt my rubi take offs to my 5 on 4.5 pattern. When new wheels happen i plan on appropriate backspacing and pattern to eliminate them. Or maybe keep them aside for a second set of tires!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.