YJ Trans swap, BA-10/5 to AX-15 ** Write Up - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > YJ Trans swap, BA-10/5 to AX-15 ** Write Up

RCI FUEL CELL BRACKET - Perfect for the back of your JeepARTEC LABOR DAY SALE - 15% offNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 08-20-2012, 01:24 PM   #61
planedoctor
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I used the same clutch that came out of my Peugeot. The clutch has to fit the flywheel you have. A buddy had a clutch out of a AX-15(newer then mine) and the contact points dont line up. I would have had to get a new flywheel also. I didn't have any issues using the stock clutch. I purchased my set up via ebay like this listing. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Wrangle...5595b4&vxp=mtr
I got the mounting plate off the ax-15 and modded my skid plate to fit it. You could also just get and adapter plate that advance adapters sells. I'm cheep! The pilot bearing is found at auto parts stores. Just ask for year the transmission came from. If you get a separate transmission the bell housing is usually reasonably priced . http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-WRANGLE...d7812c&vxp=mtr
That kit you listed has a external slave cylinder. That's all well if your going to change master also. I was trying to keep cost down. I already had a new master and slave(internal). As for the input shaft that is the hardest part in my opinion. I was lucky enough to find one on ebay for a steal. I also had to modify the mounting bracket for the 4x4 shifter by cutting down a unused lug on the transmission. Advanced adapters and others sell a bracket that requires no modifications. Hope this info helps.

planedoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2012, 03:42 PM   #62
evanjeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

It does. Is the hydraulic lines for the internal slave the same? On the transfer case input shaft should i go with long or short?
evanjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2012, 05:19 PM   #63
planedoctor
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I used my original slave, master cyl. and their hyd lines. No issues. This site has good reading and understanding. http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/np231.htm and http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge...nput_gears.htm Reading this it would seem the long shaft is what your needing.
Unread 08-20-2012, 07:41 PM   #64
evanjeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by planedoctor
I used my original slave, master cyl. and their hyd lines. No issues. This site has good reading and understanding. http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/np231.htm and http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge...nput_gears.htm Reading this it would seem the long shaft is what your needing.
Im looking at this now. It seems the later ba 10 had 23 splines? Either way im gonna need the long one? Thats how im taking the chart. http://www.advanceadapters.com/produ...ded-for-np231/
Unread 08-29-2012, 02:56 PM   #65
Duvalbulldog
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Has anyone encountered the problem of the smaller pilot bearing. A regular pilot bearing puller will not get in there it is too big to get all three prongs in there. Some body help please.
Unread 08-29-2012, 03:19 PM   #66
planedoctor
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I had to cut, chisel and basically beat the crap out of any I had to remove. I always started with the puller but it never worked. Never had one too small thou.
Unread 08-29-2012, 06:53 PM   #67
normalicy
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I've heard quite a few people say that they just had to cut it with a metal cutting hacksaw blade & pry it out once the tension is gone.

E-mail at: normalicy@charter.net

Heatware References (a feedback website) HERE

Ebay Feedback HERE
normalicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2012, 07:34 PM   #68
evanjeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by normalicy
Yeah, I've heard quite a few people say that they just had to cut it with a metal cutting hacksaw blade & pry it out once the tension is gone.
I may be doing this next week ill let you know how i get it
Unread 08-31-2012, 12:45 PM   #69
jimbos76cj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I just did for a buddy's 88.. we found a Ax-15 with the internal slave and small pilot tip.. it was a direct swap, the only real modifications were to get the braket that holds the clutch tube back on we had to grind the corners off of it and had to modify the skid plate. thats it.. Clutch was the same, pilot bearing was correct, threads for the internal throw out bearing was right, the starter bolted right up. Clean easy.. 4hrs worth of work.
88 YJ 35's 8.8 rear, family style roll bar, ax-15 external slave conversion, Custom double D fab dash 4" of lift taurus fan, Head light wiring upgrade, MSD 6al, JB conversions SYE, 258 with RV cam, Long tube headers, Borla exhaust. 1"mm, Auto meter gauges.
jimbos76cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2012, 01:11 AM   #70
Jkanly

l---L 0lllllll0-

()_)-()_)--o-)_)
Jkanly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2012, 02:09 PM   #71
johnnykind
1988 YJ Wrangler 

AX-15 swap

hey guys, I did the ax-15 swap a while back but I am having some problems with the flywheel, my original flywheel ring gear was so chewed up the starter would not even reach it any more, so I ordered a new one, to match the year and engine size of the vehicle,

(88yj, 4.2,- 92 ax15, internal slave)

with the new flywheel for the 88 4.2 the cone on the original starter wasn't even close to the ring gear so I went back to an older style starter ford type, now it starts but makes a horrible noise while it is cranking,

so my question is should I use a flywheel to match the 1988 engine, or the 1992 ax15 trans???

After reading thru the forums for hours on end there seems to be a difference of opinion on which flywheel to use???

can you guys tell me which one I should use and why ???

Johnnykind white jeep club member #421
johnnykind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2012, 01:43 PM   #72
planedoctor
1987 YJ Wrangler 

When my teeth were bad I just replaced the ring gear not the whole flywheel. If you change to the newer flywheel you will also most likely have to change the clutch. I was going to put a newer style clutch a buddy had sitting around on mine and when I matched it up the clutch would not work with that old flywheel. The area that the clutch contacts the flywheel is different(well it was for my set up). I have the oem(Autozone) starter, flywheel, ring gear and clutch and newer 92+ pilot bearing, bell housing and transmission.
Unread 03-01-2013, 08:00 PM   #73
871kevin
1989 YJ Wrangler 

What a great writeup. I'm putting an ax15 from a'90 yj with a 4.2L in my 89 yj with a 4.2L. I'm thinking it should go smooth. Does anyone know if my clutch and pilot and my master cylinder will work with new trans?
871kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 08:08 PM   #74
jimbos76cj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It's should all swap over.. If your swapping a small diameter input and internal slave into your jeep the. Is should not be a problem.. Only difference between the units will be the trans mount in the cross member. Try to get the cross member from the jeep the ax-15 is from. If not you can cut yours to make it fit:
88 YJ 35's 8.8 rear, family style roll bar, ax-15 external slave conversion, Custom double D fab dash 4" of lift taurus fan, Head light wiring upgrade, MSD 6al, JB conversions SYE, 258 with RV cam, Long tube headers, Borla exhaust. 1"mm, Auto meter gauges.
jimbos76cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 03:41 AM   #75
871kevin
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah I'm going to try and get the cross member. And as far as I can tell I shouldn't need the master cylinder because I'm going from internal slave to internal slave. Is that correct?
871kevin is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.