YJ Trans swap, BA-10/5 to AX-15 ** Write Up - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > YJ Trans swap, BA-10/5 to AX-15 ** Write Up

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 08-31-2010, 09:18 PM   #31
88blkyj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

wait do you need the pilot bearing for sure? Mine seemed to match right up...same shaft size as my pujo..its an 89 ax 15. It is in but the clutch is not setup yet and she hasnt been moved. So do I need to pull it out and replace it?

88blkyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2010, 08:34 PM   #32
planedoctor
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Great write up. Doing this same swap and it answered a couple questions I had. Looks like all I'm missing is a new pilot bushing and possibly some trans. mount swapping.
planedoctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2011, 09:34 PM   #33
BlackOpsPete
1988 YJ Wrangler 

My BA stuck in first for the first time today. Took the shifter out and freed it up but not something I want to get into the habit of doing... Might need to consider this. No shifter parts for the BA and mine is sloppy. More money but more JEEP right?!?!?!?!??!
BlackOpsPete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2011, 06:08 PM   #34
BlackOpsPete
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Other than looking in local junk yards, is there a reputable place to pick up an AX-15?

I'm in South Florida but willing to get it shipped.
BlackOpsPete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2011, 02:43 PM   #35
kg0483
1988 YJ Wrangler 

"Now for the pilot bearing. In no uncertain terms this is a total PIA. If your rig is like mine, it's been in there for 15+ years. It's tough to get out. I thought I'd be smart and spend 25 bucks on this nifty shifty pilot bearing puller from Harbor Freight so I didn't have to fight with it."

I know it's been some time since you did this writeup but would you happen to remember how you figured out which pilot bearing to use? I remember you saying that you had to sand the pilot bearing down a little to make it fit. Was this because of the input shaft diameter? I know from 1988 to 1991 AX15 input shafts have a smaller (~19/32") pilot tip. 1992-1999 AX15's have a larger (~3/4") pilot tip. Thanks -Kyle
kg0483 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2011, 06:35 PM   #36
planedoctor
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I put a newer trans. in. It had the larger shaft tip. I got a pilot for that year trans and it fit just fine. The larger bearing will fit in the outer lip of the plate not the inner one. It is very noticeably bigger then the smaller one. No sanding, no nothing. Just worked it in nice and streight and fit just fine. The old bearing I had to cut and chisel out. It was only in for 6 months.
planedoctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2011, 10:49 AM   #37
kg0483
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by planedoctor View Post
I put a newer trans. in. It had the larger shaft tip. I got a pilot for that year trans and it fit just fine. The larger bearing will fit in the outer lip of the plate not the inner one. It is very noticeably bigger then the smaller one. No sanding, no nothing. Just worked it in nice and streight and fit just fine. The old bearing I had to cut and chisel out. It was only in for 6 months.
Right on. Thanks for the reply
kg0483 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2011, 07:44 AM   #38
KLT88YJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Resurrecting this thread! I read somewhere else around here about re-clocking the transfer case!? Is this necessary to regardless if you retain your AMC style 231 or only If you switch to a "Newer" donor Chrysler Jeep 231j??
KLT88YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2011, 06:15 AM   #39
ndnbrav
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Great post..I also did this swap in my 87 YJ, except I found a 1990 AX-15 with the internal slave cylinder like the BA10/5 had...this was a really helpful write up.
ndnbrav is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2011, 08:58 PM   #40
imac61
1980 CJ7 

agree
imac61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2011, 01:08 AM   #41
97CherokeeSport
1997 ZJ 

I want to swap my ZJ.

I have no transmission experience but always seem to get what ever im working on completed. I also get mad and frustraited easily. I want to swap my auto to the AX-15. I can get the tranny, bellhousing, boot and shifter for $150.00 but the tranny has 240000 kilometers (150000 miles). Is that a bad thing for the AX-15 and what do I need master+slave cylcinders for? would it be a good idea to do this swap? The tranny is out of a 1997 Cherokee.

I have a 1997 Grand Cherokee and my only problem is the auto!

PLease respond A.S.A.P.

Thanks in advance!
Cole Boyko
97CherokeeSport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2011, 02:34 PM   #42
97CherokeeSport
1997 ZJ 

I want to do this to my 97 Grand

I have a 1997 Grand Cherokee with a auto. I want to swap it to an AX-15.

I know I need:
the trans,
shorter front drive shaft
longer rear drive shaft
pedal setup
bellhousing
shifter

I have a transmisison cooler for my POS automatic, would I be able to keep using that with the new AX-15?

And what is the Master and Slave cylinder?

I am new to swaping transmissions, would I have great difficulty?

Thanks in Advance!
Cole - 1-306-543-6762
Unread 10-16-2011, 01:13 AM   #43
GrEmLiN
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I have an 87 YJ, 4.2 BA10 (now dead) and I've got a 96 XJ AX15 (external slave)
I have some questions I could really use answered:
Pilot bushing. My trans has the 3/4" (0.750") tip, the BA I'm assuming used the smaller common 19/32" tip, or something different?
That said, correct me if I'm wrong, but there are two "stages" or steps in the crank snout to seat a bearing/bushing, right? The OEM part 53009180AB (a bearing?? can anyone confirm if this is a bushing or a bearing) (AX15 / 4.0, say, for a 94 YJ) uses the innermost step, whereas the other widely used bushing from the 73 CJ5 304 V8 uses the ... outer step? I'm sure Novak or Advanced Adapters can answer this when I contact them.

Next question, master cylinder throws...
The 87 master... why was I under the impression from somebody somewhere that using fittings and braided hose I could connect my old master to the new external slave and have it work fine, but here in this thread its been stated that they are NOT compatible? Which is true? I know both are 3/4" bore, I know late (91-95?) used one form of pin style (long) fitting to connect the hose at the master and the TJ's (97-03) used another pin style (short), where as the 87/88-91 uses standard fittings -- so what's the actual throw on both YJ masters / slaves?? Are they or are they not compatible?

231J 4wd linkage... reusing the 231AMC bracketry on the 231J, what exactly has to be done to make it a very stable, and non-binding setup? (Other than getting the correct brackets?) Could I just weld onto the bracket to extend it to the existing boss on the AX15?

I've been planning this swap for a while and at present I ONLY have the original 87 YJ gear and an XJ transmission.
(I already know about the XJ vs YJ tcase clocking issue, and either have sourced a YJ AX15 for the correct tail housing or will drill holes in the transmission. Not my top priority but I'd be interested to know what others who've done this swap have done.)
I still need to locate a 23 spline 231 transfer case, slave cylinder, pilot bushing, hydraulic hose, throwout bearing, and possibly another clutch disc as I believe mine to have become contaminated with oil.
Is there anything else I'm missing? I'm VERY interested to know MEASUREMENTS on the pilot bushings and master cylinders and what mods do I need to do?

I have heard in the past of using the new style masters but they use a stud and a bolt or something, opposing studs and they won't bolt up in place of the old master... I have no idea, I've read so far into this swap over several months that my head is spinning. I've become obsessed with trying to know all about this before going out and spending money. Once I see them next to one another I can probably figure it out but can anyone show me or explain what they did to get it to work? I do NOT wish to modify my firewall. What's up doc?

Sorry for the massive post of questions but I've been thinking non-stop about this swap every night when I can't sleep because I haven't had my Jeep in 2 weeks and the weather here in New England is getting colder every day. HELP!!!!
~Grem

To answer Cole's very rudely off-topic ZJ question (wrong forum),

Too many things are different to do that swap on your vehicle. Even the engine computer is wrong. . . and I don't know of any ZJ's that came stick. If any did they were rare and one year only and you would need the pedals, computers and entire electrical harness and likely extensive modification to the vehicle, floor pan, electrical systems, interior and firewall to make it all work. Buy something else.

So, no, you can't even do the swap without changing EVERYTHING. (Probably the engine as well would be easiest, shoehorn in a complete setup in one swoop.)

Also, I'm not saying it can't be done I'm just saying there's so much more to it than you think.
GrEmLiN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2011, 01:57 AM   #44
97CherokeeSport
1997 ZJ 

Well sir, it seems you don't have a clue about swaping the auto to a AX-15. You see, it is mostly a bolt on process, the only electrical I need to do is ground the Neutral Safety Switch so I can start my 5-spd ZJ. In 1992 or 93 came a standard ZJ, only 1500-2000 were made. I found one here in my own Queen's city for $800. 1992 ZJ manual 350000kilometers (218000 miles). I am NOT using the tranny from that one, I have a transmission with only 200000kilometers on it. I will use the brake and clutch pedal, master and slave (if external), driveshafts, cross member, bracket, shifter boot, shifter, crank position sensor and maybe the ECM.

97' ZJ Laredo, Fog lights, 3.5" I.R.O. lift, 31x10.50r15 Goodyear Wrangler Authority's, stock wheels and transmission
add:looking to buy AX-15 parts/information/how-to for swap.
Unread 10-17-2011, 01:58 AM   #45
97CherokeeSport
1997 ZJ 

Also, what do I need a new flywheel for?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.