YJ missing and trouble starting - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 Old 04-29-2010, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
tater_kamik
1995 YJ Wrangler 

YJ missing and trouble starting

So I just purchased my first Jeep, a 95 YJ 2.5l manual. I knew there were some things wrong with it but hey, its 15 years old and its a project. Now for the symptoms!
Occasionally, it is quite hard to start (not in cold weather, I live in the south) but it will eventually after a few attempts. Also at around 2000 rpm and up, it developed what feels to be misses and it stumbles. Not enough to be unable to accelerate however. It does this while maintaining speed and under load. I also get small backfires occasionally. It does not have a catalytic converter.
To combat my Jeep's illness, I have taken a few steps. I first checked the air filter, it was fine. I checked the plugs and they were definately in need of replacement, so I changed the plugs and wires. I have a new fuel filter for it but havent changed it yet. I am suspecting the distributor, so I replaced the cap and attempted to get the correct rotor and pickup for it. However, the rotor I got each time was not identical to the original especially where it goes on the shaft. Mine is much smaller. Also, the pickup I got both times had this dandy plate on it which mine does not.
What im hoping is that someone can point me in the right direction to get the correct parts, and maybe why I cannot seem to get the right parts from any auto parts store. Any ideas on my Jeep's Illness? She needs to get well so that she can start growing up next week (lift etc etc etc)! Help!

-Matt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.