YJ disk brake swap. Cant get good petal. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > YJ disk brake swap. Cant get good petal.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 04-10-2013, 04:52 PM   #1
CDW_327
1993 YJ Wrangler 

YJ disk brake swap. Cant get good petal.

I got this axle from a local forum. It has disk brakes on it from a 2000 ford Taurus. Got it all together and bleed the brakes but I can't get the soft petal to go away. If I pump the petal a few times it feels "OK" but quickly goes back down. I searched and found that you can put calipers on the wrong side of the axle and the bleeder will be upside down. I went out and looked at mine and yes the bleeder is on below the line, so I believe this is my problem, but I don't know if I can switch the calipers and they will bolt up?

Does this look wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Unread 04-10-2013, 09:47 PM   #2
TDIJeep

If the bleeder is not at the top most point of the cailper or at the very least above the piston then air will stay above the bleeder in the piston.

Not sure, as I haven't done it my self but i would expect you could hang the caliper the correct way and bleed it properly then recompress the caliper piston with a pad and C-clamp. And just reinstall?

Have you considered that on opposite sides the may work?
I think this: [,
Becomes this ']
If you follow.

Haven't done it, for simplicity i would remount the calipers correctly and extend the lines or the get SS ones.
TDIJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 05:52 AM   #3
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Take them off. Put a block of wood or something between the pads. Turn them right side up, and bleed them. Remove the wood and reinstall.

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
Refresh*Connections*Before*Replacing*Components
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 06:16 AM   #4
CDW_327
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54
Take them off. Put a block of wood or something between the pads. Turn them right side up, and bleed them. Remove the wood and reinstall.
Yeah this is what I plan to do today. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.