XJ - Water Pump or another project..? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > XJ - Water Pump or another project..?

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 03-19-2014, 09:00 PM   #1
danieljustyn
1988 XJ Cherokee 

XJ - Water Pump or another project..?

Hello,

My Jeep was running fine till the other day when it started steaming up. When I opened the hood I noticed antifreeze all on the right hand side, behind where the water pump is located.

I let it cool down and tried again, though with the engine shield on the right hand side I couldn't clearly see where it was coming from. Though, I did notice a new whining noise, from my assumptions... it's coming from the water pump.

Before I tear my Jeep apart tomorrow and replace the water pump, I was wondering if it could be something else. Rather not do a few hours of work only to find out that was not the solution...

Any help, comments, or suggestions are great. Thanks!

danieljustyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2014, 06:00 AM   #2
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

If you noticed an increase in noise of the pump and then a failure, it could very well be the culprit. Carefully poking a mechanics stethoscope onto the pump (everybody should have one of these; they are inexpensive) can help you isolate the noise. But don't forget to perform a careful inspection of all other cooling system components like the radiator, hoses, etc.

How old are your pump/radiator? If the answer is "I don't know", then it is probably time. Money spent on your cooling system is the best money you can spend. The parts are not all that expensive if you do the labor yourself.

Many times on older vehicles, when I dig in, I perform a wholesale replacement of all cooling system parts if you plan on keeping the vehicle.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
coolant , engine , smoke , water pump

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.