Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

XJ T-Case Swap?

644 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  willness33 
#1 ·
About 3 years ago the chain in my '88 XJ's231 tcase stretched out and causes it to slip and make this god awful bang when you have it in 4wd but if you take the front driveshaft out, it doesnt but whats the use in putting it in 4x4 if you take the front shaft out. I pulled the front diff cover and checked the pinion and ring gear teeth along with everything else and everything was fine so it has to be in the tcase. It hasnt been put in 4x4 since then because of the chain and I havent had time to swap the one I bought into it.

Anyway, I got a tcase out of a '87 XJ with the same engine and trans and apperantly the same tcase shift pattern but the only thing that concerns me is will the splines match up on the back of the trans because the one on my cherokee is a NP231 and the one I got off the 87 says NP241 (or 242 cant remember. Both say 2H-4H-N-4L). So will these 2 cases have the same spline count since they came off the same AW4 trans even if they have a tag on them that says its a different model case?

#2 ·
It's most likely an NP 242. IF it's a 241, it's a turd and I'll personally drive over to Tennessee and take it from you. :) Seriously, it's going to be a 242. I know you say it has the same shift pattern, but if it is, indeed, a 242 it'll have one extra "gear" in there. It is a full-time case. The shift pattern will be 2wdH, 4H (48/52 differential-torque-biased), or full time, 4H part time, N, 4L. The 4H part time is the same as the 4H on the 231. The 4H full time allows the front and rear axles to differentiate (think axle diff here) a bit when driving on only moderately slick surfaces where you wouldn't use the part time 4H due to binding. Now to the real question. Will it bolt up? Yep. Do you want to use a full time case? Sure. According to Novak, it's a decent case, with it's lowest torque rating in the 4H full time, which should be used the least anyways.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.