XJ D35 to '03 Rubi' D44 Axle Swap - ABS Light - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > XJ D35 to '03 Rubi' D44 Axle Swap - ABS Light

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Building a Bumper?

Unread 03-14-2011, 12:32 PM   #1
Ruffnek
1998 XJ Cherokee 

XJ D35 to '03 Rubi' D44 Axle Swap - ABS Light

So I've removed the stock axle and got the D44 in place, brakes are all hooked up and functioning normally while driving. Loving the discs in the rear.
Here are my questions, did my '98 Cherokee have rear ABS to begin with and what do I need to do with this Rubicon D44 to get the light to go off in my Cherokee? Right now my ABS does not work at all, front or rear.

Thanks,

Dusty

Ruffnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2011, 09:43 PM   #2
Ruffnek
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Bump
Unread 03-27-2011, 09:42 PM   #3
Dre
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Did you hook-up ABS sensors back there? D44 should of come with sensors. You might have a problem though - signal from the sensor on a D44 might be different than signal on your former D35... that might trigger light and shot the system off.
Unread 03-28-2011, 09:43 AM   #4
pcutta69
1998 XJ Cherokee 

hi im new to the forum i have a 1998 cheroke xj on 33s i was looking into bigger breaks for the front i found forum were you can take a grand cherokee wj part off i dont know what is called but it holds the hub and steers the car but theres alot of machine work that needs to be doneto center the axle in the new part so i was thinking if the wj enter front end entierly would bolt up to a xj i no that is is a dana 30 and from looking at 1 at the junk yard evey thing looks alike so my ? is is it the same were the spring perches are and all that other good stuff if some one has a answer thatd be great cause id love to have those dual piston bigger calipers on the truk as towing and tire sizes goin up its not breaking the same and i think id have to change the yoke from cv to a u joint wich isnt a prob any help would be great thanx
pcutta69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2011, 12:05 PM   #5
Ruffnek
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre View Post
Did you hook-up ABS sensors back there? D44 should of come with sensors. You might have a problem though - signal from the sensor on a D44 might be different than signal on your former D35... that might trigger light and shot the system off.
I will have to have a look, I had to get a shop to weld it in, and they actually set up the brakes and driveshaft. If brakes fine, just no ABS and the light stays on. Any description of exactly what I should be looking for?
Unread 04-15-2011, 12:10 PM   #6
Ruffnek
1998 XJ Cherokee 

This is not the right place for this post.
1. Try searching, you will probably find your answer.
2. Start a thread in the appropriate section of the forum, not in someone else's thread that has nothing to do with your topic.
3. People appreciate punctuation, that post is hard to read and follow.
4. A Dana 44 with locker and 4.10s from any TJ Rubicon will bolt into a Cherokee, if that helps at all.
Unread 04-15-2011, 01:12 PM   #7
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcutta69 View Post
hi im new to the forum i have a 1998 cheroke xj on 33s i was looking into bigger breaks for the front i found forum were you can take a grand cherokee wj part off i dont know what is called but it holds the hub and steers the car but theres alot of machine work that needs to be doneto center the axle in the new part so i was thinking if the wj enter front end entierly would bolt up to a xj i no that is is a dana 30 and from looking at 1 at the junk yard evey thing looks alike so my ? is is it the same were the spring perches are and all that other good stuff if some one has a answer thatd be great cause id love to have those dual piston bigger calipers on the truk as towing and tire sizes goin up its not breaking the same and i think id have to change the yoke from cv to a u joint wich isnt a prob any help would be great thanx
Okay, first you punctuation sucks, try using some basic English, sentences, periods, capitol letters stuff like that.

Next start a new thread in appropriate section like XJ tech section. TJs and XJs have the same front axles and brakes so there is no point. If you want better brakes do some research there are kits from people like Vanco but if you are only running 33s better brake pads will help and be the cheapest you best bet is to contact a guy called Mr. Blaine on here know more about brakes than any one I know. If you can black magic brake pads and centric rotor for you front axle that would help out a lot. Another good option is EBC Yellow Stuff brake pads, with centric rotors.

As far as the WJ conversion it can be done there is a write up here somewhere on a TJ which is the same as the front of an XJ. No you can not take an axle out of a WJ and mount it in and XJ the shock and spring perches are in the wrong locations. You would have to cut all the brackets off and have some one reweld them to mount it in an XJ, it's not worth when there are so many better options out there.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2011, 01:14 PM   #8
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffnek View Post
I will have to have a look, I had to get a shop to weld it in, and they actually set up the brakes and driveshaft. If brakes fine, just no ABS and the light stays on. Any description of exactly what I should be looking for?
Do you have ABS in your XJ? If your ABS light is on you need to find a way to make it go off or your brakes may not function properly even if they seem like they do.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2011, 07:13 PM   #9
Ruffnek
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueSpear2023 View Post
Okay, first you punctuation sucks, try using some basic English, sentences, periods, capitol letters stuff like that.

Next start a new thread in appropriate section like XJ tech section. TJs and XJs have the same front axles and brakes so there is no point. If you want better brakes do some research there are kits from people like Vanco but if you are only running 33s better brake pads will help and be the cheapest you best bet is to contact a guy called Mr. Blaine on here know more about brakes than any one I know. If you can black magic brake pads and centric rotor for you front axle that would help out a lot. Another good option is EBC Yellow Stuff brake pads, with centric rotors.

As far as the WJ conversion it can be done there is a write up here somewhere on a TJ which is the same as the front of an XJ. No you can not take an axle out of a WJ and mount it in and XJ the shock and spring perches are in the wrong locations. You would have to cut all the brackets off and have some one reweld them to mount it in an XJ, it's not worth when there are so many better options out there.
TJ Rubicons, which is what I suggested, have a locked D44 with 4.10 gears, that will bolt into a Cherokee. I've done it.
Unread 04-19-2011, 07:14 PM   #10
Ruffnek
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueSpear2023 View Post
Do you have ABS in your XJ? If your ABS light is on you need to find a way to make it go off or your brakes may not function properly even if they seem like they do.
As far as I know it did untill I did the axle swap.
Unread 04-19-2011, 09:08 PM   #11
donthelegend
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffnek View Post
As far as I know it did untill I did the axle swap.
Is the ABS module still under the hood? Should be on top of the driver side wheel well next to the master cylinder if it is still there.

Do you even want ABS? The ABS system on XJs is terrible, and most people that have messed with it remove it.

Any way, if you just want to disable it, there are two(I think) fuses and a relay in the PDC under the hood. They are labeled on the lid of the PDC. Pull these and ABS will be disabled (should kill the light as well). The ABS falls back to normal operation if disabled, and if the ABS light is on, this may already be happening.

If there are ABS sensors on the D44 and they are hooked up, i have no idea if the different year sensors are compatible or if they will cause problems.

Hope that helps.
donthelegend is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ABS light , axle , cherokee , dana 44 , swap

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.