XJ Cam? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > XJ Cam?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 07-26-2010, 04:56 PM   #1
xj_army
1999 XJ Cherokee 

XJ Cam?

I have a basically stock '99 with the 4.0 and Im wondering if it would be worth a cam upgrade when I have my top end redone. Thinking of having my valves redone and been thinking of redoing the cam, rockers, rollers, and lifters and anything else needed with a cam install. Not really sure what all is needed and if anyone could find or knows of a good kit and what kind of cam I would need for the 30-40 hp increase (mentioned in another thread), I would greatly appreciate it. Id kinda like the cam to give it a good lope if possible.

Im also wondering if my cylinders are in good condition, would I have to have them honed to put in new pistons? I know on quads if the head is in good condition on a 4 stroke, you can sometimes get away with it. I dount mine is just because its old but just for sh*ts and giggles would I be facing problems with new pistons and rings(possibly high compression) without honing my cylinders.

Last edited by xj_army; 07-26-2010 at 05:22 PM..
xj_army is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2010, 05:44 AM   #2
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Don't just throw new pistons and rings into the holes. At a minimum you would need to hone the cylinders for new rings. You may very well need to bore for oversize pistons. You can't go by the fact that you may still have visible hone marks on the walls and think you can just put the new rings and pistons in. At 175K my cylinders still had very visible hone marks but when I measured the holes there would have been too much clearance for the stock piston.
Unread 07-27-2010, 07:16 AM   #3
xj_army
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I figured. I just know that with quads u can sometimes get away with it but I do realize too that this isnt a quad. Just wanted to check and make sure.
xj_army is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2010, 07:31 AM   #4
ajmorell

Call Comp Cams or Crower and talk to them and tell them what you want. I'm running Comp 68-232-4 but I wish I would've had a cam custom ground for a little more money. Between the cam, 99+ intake, head work, and exhaust there is a pretty substantial difference compared to a stock 4.0 but I wish the cam I ended up with had a little more low end grunt.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cam , camshaft , 4.0 , 4.0l , 4.0 liter , I6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.