Are XJ axle parts interchangable with ZJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Are XJ axle parts interchangable with ZJ?

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-30-2010, 11:28 AM   #1
WilsonZone
1978 CJ5 

Are XJ axle parts interchangable with ZJ?

I needed a car for my daughter to drive so she'd quit driving my JK. I found and bought a 1994 Grand Cherokee Limited with full-time 4WD that needed work. The seller told me that the driver's side CV axle shaft needed to be replaced. After looking underneath I noticed the boot on both sides were torn so I talked them down and took it home.

Before I worked on the Jeep you could hear loud popping noises and the front end felt like it was catching on something. After replacing the axle shafts the noise is still there. I'm now thinking that I need a new diff.

Yesterday I was at the local Pull-A-Part looking for u-joint axle shafts for this ZJ but they only had one 4X4 ZJ and it didn't have what I needed. They had about 15-20 XJ 4X4s there. If I could find a XJ with the same axle ratio as what I have could I pull the diff from an XJ and put it in my ZJ?

TIA

WilsonZone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2010, 11:51 AM   #2
ajmorell

If the gear ratios match just snag the entire axle assembly and swap it over. Much easier than swapping the internals of the differential. To answer your original question though, an XJ axle should bolt right into a ZJ.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2010, 11:52 AM   #3
ajmorell

If the ZJ has full-time 4wd then it's possible the viscous coupler in the t-case is shot too which would cause the binding you feel.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2010, 03:09 PM   #4
WilsonZone
1978 CJ5 

Thanks for your reply.

I only feel the binding in the front of the Jeep. Would a bad viscous coupler still do this?

So much for quickly getting a Jeep running for my daughter to drive.

Edit: Nevermind. Pulled the diff cover off and my pinion gear is busted. Looks like I'm replacing the axle.

Last edited by WilsonZone; 06-30-2010 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: Add to my post.
Unread 10-21-2010, 11:13 PM   #5
WilsonZone
1978 CJ5 

Well, I bought a front axle from the salvage yard and did the swap. Unfortunately after my daughter had been driving it around for a while the ZJ broke down on the side of the highway. I went to retrieve it and the front pinion gear is shot again. I'm guessing the VC is bad and caused the pinion gear damage.

After I brought it home I pulled the drive shaft, ring, pinion and axle shafts out. I had two old axle shafts that I cut down so the bearings didn't separate. I'll be doing a NP242 swap within a month or two.

We have a slanted driveway and about 30 minutes after parking the ZJ I found it had rolled into the street. I noticed that the Jeep very slowly rolls back; you have to really watch it close to notice it. I've never seen this before, would having a bad VC cause this? Or is it because I have no front driveshaft?

Tags
axle , cherokee , differential , pinion , ring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.