Wrangler 2.5L Kicking and Bucking at higher RPMs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Wrangler 2.5L Kicking and Bucking at higher RPMs

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-25-2007, 04:21 PM   #1
MrHappy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Wrangler 2.5L Kicking and Bucking at higher RPMs

1995 Wrangler 2.5L + 31” Tires on D35 4.10

Oil pressure: 50psi
Temperature: 190
Volts: 15.5
Fuel: Full
Speed: Irrelevant (30 through 70)
Miles: 151,000
Altitude: 5200ft
Grade: Flat
Conditions: 20% Humidity, 70°F, Sunny
Road: Street or Highway
Oil Grade: 10w40

Symptoms:
Sitting in my driveway, rev motor to 4000 RPM, purrs like a kitten.
Rolling downhill, downshift so the new gear is 3500-4000 RPM, purrs like a kitten.
Very slowly accelerate past 3300ish – 4000ish, purrs like a kitten.
Accelerate normally or aggressively past 3300ish and the RPM needle drops something like 1000 RPM instantly. If I leave my foot on the gas the RPM’s will ‘bounce’ between the two and the Jeep will lurch and buck.

History:
When I bought this Jeep it had 33” tires. I swapped them out for 31” tires. I live up a 4 mile highway with a 5% grade. I don’t have the power to hold 55-60 in fourth so I ride it high in third. Like between 3000 and 4000 RPM. I did this for about a week without issue. I changed the oil, transmission fluid, transfer case fluid, air cleaner, spark plugs, and checked the timing. I took the Jeep for a test drive down and then back up that hill without issue. I took it out wheeling for several hours without issue. The next day I am on an onramp getting up to speed when I first feel the motor ‘buck’. I took my foot off the gas and clutch and limped it home not knowing what might have happened. I was high RMP at the time. I was looking at merging traffic and not at my gauges so I don’t know the exact RPM. There is the possibility that I went past redline. I looked the motor over and broke out the timing light again. The timing was the same as before, 13° BTDC. I suspected that I may have purchased the wrong spark plugs so I put the old ones back in. The Jeep still has the problem.

Requests:
Any information on what might be the issue here as well has suggestions on how to fix it.
Advice on the timing: my Haynes says I don’t need to adjust it on a fuel injected motor and even if I could I can’t get the bolt to come loose that holds the distributor in place.

Last edited by MrHappy; 03-25-2007 at 07:01 PM..
MrHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2007, 11:41 PM   #2
MrHappy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I couldn't get over the fact that it seemed the problem is related to the ignition timing so I went over all the systems involved. It turns out that one of the bolts fell out of the crank posision sensor located on the bell housing, and the remaining bolt was very loose. I replace the missing bolt and tightened them both up and no the Jeep runs great. Still gutless, but running great.
Unread 03-26-2007, 10:26 AM   #3
TXjeepTJ

my 2.5l did the same thing, it was the fuel filter(located inside the tank )
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/my-v8-swap-blog-updates-365293/
TXjeepTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2007, 12:34 PM   #4
MrHappy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Oh, I forgot to mention that I changed the fuel filte too. It was one that is just ahead of the rear tire on the body frame. I think I will get some injector cleaner and add it to my tank. the Jeep is running fine now but it can't hurt i suppose.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.