worn out main thrust bearing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > worn out main thrust bearing

JK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 05-05-2002, 10:32 PM   #1
amcpapa

worn out main thrust bearing

i had 500 miles on a rebuilt short block when the thrust bearing and crank were wiped out on my 360 v8 . it's a j10 with a 727 trans what could cause it ?

amcpapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2002, 09:46 AM   #2
pop_r_master

Define wiped out. Did you see the bearing and crank? Was there score marks? Did the crank seize? Did you, during the rebuild, have the crank 1. replaced 2. cut and balanced (requires new larger bearings) 3. nothing and put back in. Did you torque the cap bolts to tight? Did the ears break off the bearing? Theres alot of different things that could happen. I rebuilt the 6 in my 79 cj....I didnt notice my the piece of metal shard that had somehow fallin onto the bearing when I torqued the cap on. I should have turned the crank by hand too....stupid me......lets just say it was an expensive mistake, the crank was to far gone to be reground......and I wasted the money on the dam oversize bearings....AHHHH.......Guess thats why I got the new TJ. Lemme know about the crank!
Unread 05-06-2002, 10:07 PM   #3
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Chech the crank. some times there is a problem with the torque converter seating in the rear(wrong crank,forgot to remove the pilot bushing on a conversion,ect...).Contamination and inproper instalation aside,thrust bearing failure is usually caused by excessive pressure against the crank.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2002, 05:28 PM   #4
amcpapa

by wiped out i mean the rear of the thrust on the crank was worn out about 1/4 inch. the motor was rebuilt by a shop in az. no the motor did not seize up it's still togeather but you can grag the front pully and move it back and forth 1/4 inch. this is the second time it's happened.it still has good oil pressure but the converter bolts are hitting the seperator plate .
amcpapa is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.