Won't start, no power??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Won't start, no power???

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-22-2004, 08:04 PM   #1
Broadway
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Won't start, no power???

I posted this thread on the Cherokee Board Please help if you can, I am running out of ideas. 1996 Cherokee 4.0L, Manual

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/no-electrical-power-78873/

Unread 04-24-2004, 11:19 AM   #2
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

YOur rig should be equiped with an emergency shut off switch which is designed to shut off the fuel pump in case of an accident. These are an inertia switch usualy located in the cab and are resetable. I am not that familiar with the system, so I can't give you more info. However, it might be something to look into.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2004, 01:44 AM   #3
RedBug

Location: RAF Mildenhall/RAF Lakenheath, England with the Department of Defense
Shutoff valve??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000
YOur rig should be equiped with an emergency shut off switch which is designed to shut off the fuel pump in case of an accident. These are an inertia switch usualy located in the cab and are resetable. I am not that familiar with the system, so I can't give you more info. However, it might be something to look into.

Jeepdaddy2000,

Would there be an emergency shut off switch on the '95 Wrangler 4.0?? If so, would it be resetable and could it be done from the cab?? It would sure make my situation a lot easier if that were the case.

Larry

[COLOR=Blue]For what's more honorable than scarrs, or skin to tatters rent in Warrs? --------Samuel Butler, Hudibras, 1658[/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkred]Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal, But wounded honor is only cured with steel. ----19th century challenge to a duel[/COLOR]
RedBug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2004, 07:19 PM   #4
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

These switches are required on all auto's that come stock with an electric fuel pump. These switches shut off power to the pump in case of an impact. This keeps the pump from contuniously running after an accident and potentialy causing a fire hazzard if a fuel line ruptures. As for your particular model, I can't help, as I am not very familiar with the systems other than know there are there. My suggestion is to call your local service department. They should be able to give you the information you need.
Unread 04-27-2004, 02:38 AM   #5
RedBug

Service Center in Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000
These switches are required on all auto's that come stock with an electric fuel pump. These switches shut off power to the pump in case of an impact. This keeps the pump from contuniously running after an accident and potentialy causing a fire hazzard if a fuel line ruptures. As for your particular model, I can't help, as I am not very familiar with the systems other than know there are there. My suggestion is to call your local service department. They should be able to give you the information you need.

jeepdaddy2000,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I talked to the 'Auto Centre, Ltd' here in Mildenhall, England. They supposedly specialize in Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge. They seem to be about as familiar with Jeep as a caveman would be with a computer.

On the times I've been in there, there's usually only one tech, one parts/service rep, no parts that don't have to be orderd in despite the fact that there are British spec Jeeps (right hand drive) here. Their thinking is that by moving the steering wheel to the right hand side, every OTHER part on the Jeep is different as well. The wait time for parts is 1-2 weeks. Ridiculous. The prices are inflated too. A fuel filter here costs about $40, an O2 sensor runs in the neighbor hood of $150.

By the way,.......... what's a decent price on a fuel pump for the '95 Wrangler with a 4.0 I6?

The base parts store quoted me $306. Seems a bit high to me.

Larry

[COLOR=Blue]For what's more honorable than scarrs, or skin to tatters rent in Warrs? --------Samuel Butler, Hudibras, 1658[/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkred]Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal, But wounded honor is only cured with steel. ----19th century challenge to a duel[/COLOR]
Unread 04-27-2004, 07:10 PM   #6
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

Ok guys, update...NO jeep vehicle is equiped with an inertia switch. My bad on the misinformation. I know Fords have them and a service guy I know told me the "they all have them" line. Worry not, he is as we speak, nude, covered with honey, and staked out on an ant hill. So I broke down and called the local service center. According to the guru down there, an inoperative fuel pump can be caused by a blown fuse, bad ballast, bad relay, or bad pump.
Larry, a pump at the local auto parts store runs about 200$ US.
hope this helps.
Unread 04-28-2004, 12:07 AM   #7
RedBug

Thanks............

Thanks, jp2k,

I'll have to do a bit more research. Not sure where the ballast is. Which fuse would that be. The ignition fuse seems to be ok. Not sure of the relay or pump. I'd like to get by w/o having to change the pump but will if necessary. The cost of pumps I've seen at discountauto.com is $98 - $216. Your quote is right in the ball park. The Brits want to charge me 298 British pounds Sterling or right at $600 for the pump alone.

Can't afford that. Will need $$ for plane fare. I will most likely be coming back stateside in a few days. My sister died yesterday from cancer and my younger brother's great love of almost 35 years passed away a few hours before my sister, also from cancer. It's hit us hard, but I HAVE to get this Jeep up and running.

Thanks for everything folks

Larry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.