Wont start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Wont start

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 11-24-2013, 07:48 AM   #1
willieray

Wont start

Ey, need a little trouble shooting advice- went to start my jeep after a few months of sitting, and she ain't turning over. Last time I started it, it took a couple turns of the key for her to catch an turn. Now, when I turn the key, she won't turn, just clicks. When the key is fully turned I noticed the dash clock goes dark, but nothing happens. Any ideas?? All input would help in what to check. The battery is new & fully charged, so I know it's not that & never had a started just stop cold on my other cars- what can I do? I'm in cold weather- bout 20 degrees outside, so I ain't trying to to be out there long...and the car is in grass, so jacking ain't going to happen- what's my next move? Thanks

willieray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 10:21 AM   #2
copmedic309
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Check your starter, sounds like it may be stuck. Take a hammer and tap the starter a few times. If it starts, you need a new one.
Unread 11-24-2013, 12:41 PM   #3
doghouse8632

By any chance.... Do u have the universal battery terminals on your cables???? If so, make 100% sure u r not loosing your connection at the crapy connections.. Work easier b 4 harder!!
doghouse8632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 06:39 AM   #4
willieray

Quote:
Originally Posted by copmedic309
Check your starter, sounds like it may be stuck. Take a hammer and tap the starter a few times. If it starts, you need a new one.
I did go out and hit it with hammer a few times...still no luck. I am thinking of tryin again tho. It looks old and rusted, think its OE, so I may price it today jst b/c.
Unread 11-25-2013, 06:44 AM   #5
willieray

Quote:
Originally Posted by doghouse8632
By any chance.... Do u have the universal battery terminals on your cables???? If so, make 100% sure u r not loosing your connection at the crapy connections.. Work easier b 4 harder!!
It the OE top posts. There is a small amount of build up on wire to post, but it doesn't appear to be in clamps to post (+). The battery connection was my first guess since it blacks outs clock when key turned. But the only reason I feel it's not is b/c dash dummy gauges still are lit when key turned, only clock goes dark. I remember that wen you start the jeep, the radio does that anyway standard (almost everything is O/E).
Unread 11-26-2013, 04:54 PM   #6
willieray

Ok, I braved the cold & went to check starter. The good thing is that when I jumped the starter, it span. Bad thing now, is that it still not starting, and now I don't know what to do...argghhh! What's next? Thanks
Unread 11-26-2013, 07:17 PM   #7
doghouse8632

Did u have the key in the run position when u we're cranking over the starter???
Unread 11-27-2013, 06:59 AM   #8
willieray

Quote:
Did u have the key in the run position when u we're cranking over the starter???
Yes. I turned the key all the way forward position, and took a screwdriver to arc the two starter terminals. When I did so, the starter started spinning, but that's all I heard. I went in car and turned key again to see if it would start, but still nothing. I was not sure if the car was supposed to start when I arced it. Now I am lost as what to do next.
Unread 11-27-2013, 07:35 AM   #9
doghouse8632

Was the starter just spinning or was the stater cranking over the engine?
Unread 11-27-2013, 04:41 PM   #10
willieray

Quote:
Was the starter just spinning or was the stater cranking over the engine?
It was just spinning. It never engaged the motor. Articles online say to listen for clicking to check solenoid, but I need to recruit some help to turn key while under jeep. I am also wondering if there are any relays or fuses I should check. This is getting frustrating- each day that passes throws more snow on the ground & drops temp outside.
Unread 11-27-2013, 04:58 PM   #11
doghouse8632

Sounds like u need a starter. Remove it and take 2 auto zone and they will test 4 free just 2 verify. My starter from as was 65 bucks.... Very cheap and lifetime guarantee!!!
Unread 12-04-2013, 02:33 PM   #12
willieray

Yeah, I just pulled starter after fighting with last bolt for a while- genius at jeep who thought to mount it inside frame rail next to trans..got the $65 unit, picking up today. Hope she fires up!
Unread 12-05-2013, 04:58 PM   #13
willieray

I just changed the starter, and still nothing in start...I tried to arc the starter to see if jeep wild start, but I think I shorted something out, cause I have no power in vehicle all together. There was a short spurt, and spark..then no power. The book says to check ignition switch under column, not sure. But now I have to figure what blew out that would kill entire power system. Any ideas, please?? Thanks
Unread 12-05-2013, 06:48 PM   #14
doghouse8632

Get a 12 volt test light. Put the clamp on the neg batt terminal. Have someone hold the key in the crank position and hold it over.... Take the other end of the test light and touch the starter housing itself... If the test light, lights... U have a bad ground or ground cable.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.