JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Engines & Drivetrain (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/)
-   -   Wobbly Wheel (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/wobbly-wheel-1496008/)

Weetay1 03-19-2013 07:27 PM

Wobbly Wheel

I have a '98 TJ 4.0L Sahara with a Dana 35 rear axle. I felt a slight side to side shimmy when driving under 20 mph. I had a buddy of mine drive behind me to check out any thing visible. He noticed the left rear wheel has a slight wobble to it. I had a chance to witness this myself. Maybe 1/2" to an 1" of visible movement. This is my only vehicle for now. How long can I keep driving it this way? What is the best route to troubleshoot/fix this problem? :newbie:

MtnJPGirl 03-19-2013 08:05 PM

This just happened to me! (2000 TJ, Dana 35 27 spline c clip, 4.0L) I actually didn't feel the wobble on mine until highway speed, and I wasn't sure what it was. Not sure if you've already torn into it to diagnose your issue, but for me it turned out that one axle shaft was really pitted, causing it to move and cause the wobbly wheel. Couldn't believe it when we pulled it out of there, it was easily seen. Bearings looked okay, although we expected some signs of wear.

We weren't sure when we started if mine was one or both sides, but we are replacing both axle shafts while we have it torn apart. :)

hope this helps - good luck!!

Weetay1 03-19-2013 08:28 PM

Just realized today what was happening so I havent torn in to anything yet. Doing some research for now. My wheel is the driver side rear so I'm getting prices. I'll most likely replace both sides as well, makes sense. How do I find out if I have a 27 or 30 spline?

MtnJPGirl 03-19-2013 08:59 PM

You might find the spline count on the Dana code on the plate on the axle--I haven't tried that approach but heard it might work... Just counted splines after pulling them out and googled around. With it being your DD, I get why you are looking first instead of ripping it apart :)
Found a decent price for a chromoly kit on 4wheel parts, and they have a rebate on some things now, too--not sure what you are looking to go with, but you might check them out. Mine came in 3 days!

Weetay1 03-19-2013 09:10 PM

I really appreciate the help thank you. Let me know about yours when you complete it!

rjbruzan 03-19-2013 09:34 PM

Before you change axles check the tires and wheels. If the belts have separated it will wobble. A bent wheel will do the same.
To test it jack up the offending wheel off the ground. Set a solid item( like a concrete block) next to the tire and rotate it see if the distance between it and the tire is constantly the same. Is the distance between the wheel and the solid object the same. If it is the same the belts one the tire have separated ( common). If the distance stays the same between the wheel and the solid object the axle is ok.
27 and 30 spline is only for XJ 8.25 axles.

Ron

mdm 03-20-2013 06:28 AM

As rjbruzan said, check simple stuff first. Loose wheel nuts?

seattle_yj 03-20-2013 03:50 PM

Swap wheels front to back. If the issue follows, it's the tire or rim.

If nothing changes check your front end components. Check your bearings for play. Check ujoint.

Replace the bearings as a set, if the bearing has chewed into the shaft replace that shaft.

All this work can be done with an impact gun, drift punch and slide hammer in 2-4 hours for a novice.

Get extra parts and tools being this is your daily driver, you can away take stuff back. Have PB blaster, grease, lube, on hand.

Weetay1 03-20-2013 06:29 PM

rlbruzan... today i removed the wheel and brake drum. I turned the axle manually and it visibly looked warped while turning it. i was trying to eliminate a bent wheel. so as of now im looking to replace my axle. but i need to figure out my spline count.

rjbruzan 03-20-2013 07:09 PM

If its a Dana 35 There is only one axle.

Ron

Weetay1 03-20-2013 07:38 PM

Roger that!! Any recommendations on where I can purchase an axle kit from? Is there anyway to figure my current gear ratio? I really appreciate the help!

seattle_yj 03-20-2013 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weetay1
Roger that!! Any recommendations on where I can purchase an axle kit from? Is there anyway to figure my current gear ratio? I really appreciate the help!

Unless you swapped in a locker, it's the normal 27 spline.

Just count the teeth on the ring gear and divide it by the pinion gear.

It may be stamped on the housing tag, it may be stamped on the ring, counting the teeth will tell you for sure.

I would buy from quadratec online.

Weetay1 03-20-2013 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seattle_yj (Post 15166599)
Unless you swapped in a locker, it's the normal 27 spline.

Just count the teeth on the ring gear and divide it by the pinion gear.

It may be stamped on the housing tag, it may be stamped on the ring, counting the teeth will tell you for sure.

I would buy from quadratec online.

How difficult would a locker be? Would even need a locker?

seattle_yj 03-21-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weetay1

How difficult would a locker be? Would even need a locker?

How difficult is the axle install? Not very, just a little intimidating if this is your first time. You'll be able to figure it out though, and folks on here will help you.

Locker install is a little different difficulty wise. I would leave that to the pros because the components are expensive and easily messed up because you have to set up the ring and pinion when installing a new carrier (locker)

Weetay1 03-22-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seattle_yj (Post 15169684)
How difficult is the axle install? Not very, just a little intimidating if this is your first time. You'll be able to figure it out though, and folks on here will help you.

Locker install is a little different difficulty wise. I would leave that to the pros because the components are expensive and easily messed up because you have to set up the ring and pinion when installing a new carrier (locker)

I'll keep that in mind if I decide to install a locker... As for the axle, Im trying to find that right kit and for weather to warm up a bit, no garage :(

The time now is 04:40 AM.