JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Engines & Drivetrain (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/)
-   -   WJ Popping and Grinding Noise (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/wj-popping-grinding-noise-1990962/)

maxgee 01-12-2014 10:22 PM

WJ Popping and Grinding Noise

So the other night I was off roading and I got stuck. While giving it gas while still stuck the front of my car made a loud pop like something broke...the noise came from around the drivers tire area. Now that I am unstuck and have been driving my front drivers tire area started to make a quiet grinding noise and it just keeps getting louder. I also can't make sharp turns since being stuck cause it makes a loud popping noise when you try to and you can also feel it. I was wondering if anyone could give me suggestions on what it might be because I am going to try to fix it myself instead of having to take it somewhere. If this also helps my 4 wheel drive all time hasn't worked since being stuck either. I don't know if the popping and grinding are the same problem or different ones either. It is a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 Limited with Qudra-Drive.

Thanks in advanced!

laybackman 01-14-2014 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxgee (Post 19363466)
So the other night I was off roading and I got stuck. While giving it gas while still stuck the front of my car made a loud pop like something broke...the noise came from around the drivers tire area. Now that I am unstuck and have been driving my front drivers tire area started to make a quiet grinding noise and it just keeps getting louder. I also can't make sharp turns since being stuck cause it makes a loud popping noise when you try to and you can also feel it. I was wondering if anyone could give me suggestions on what it might be because I am going to try to fix it myself instead of having to take it somewhere. If this also helps my 4 wheel drive all time hasn't worked since being stuck either. I don't know if the popping and grinding are the same problem or different ones either. It is a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 Limited with Qudra-Drive.

Thanks in advanced!

Check the U joints behind the hubs if nothing looks broke then it is time to remove the front differential cover and take a peek.

Evildriver-3 01-15-2014 11:43 AM

Take a look at the axle's sounds like one of the joints are seizing..... Actually now seeing you have a WJ you should have rzeppa style axles, you may have a t-case issue, if it feels like the brakes are being applied when turning.... DO NOT force the turn, immediately make the turn wider or or if parking do not do any tight turn into a spot.
The case's vc is locked up and YOU WILL break a spider gear and then that will cause that piece that broke off the spider to wipe out the R&P.

If that's the issue then make sure whenever you feel it slowing from bind you make the turn wide or you're probably somewhere around $800 t-case issue will be a $2000 problem when it wrecks other stuff.

The time now is 05:48 AM.