wj front drive issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > wj front drive issues

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 09-13-2013, 06:02 AM   #1
DCFD23

wj front drive issues

I have a 2004 grand Cherokee trail rated. I have a 2.5" lift on rear and 3" on front. The issue I am having is the CV that connects to the transfer case blew the bearing. When I changed it it has seems to be going again. It has got heated up and us making a winding noise again. I am going to take it back out until I can figure it out. Can anyone offer some input as to what is the issue. Or have you had this problem and how was it corrected?

DCFD23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 01:50 PM   #2
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Is the jeep level? Maybe its a not good angle
Unread 09-14-2013, 07:15 PM   #3
DCFD23

It is level. The lift I had put on was basically a leveling system. I wanted to go with a 3" suspension but the rears were actually 2.5 and the front was 3.
Unread 09-14-2013, 08:31 PM   #4
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

You should probably look at going to a double-single cardan driveshaft instead of the repezza joint you have. Most guys with 3-4" of lift eventually go to one. You can either look at a used one out of a 94 - 95 v8 grand cherokee or look at a new one from Carolina Driveshaft. I rebuilt a used one for about $200 including the new transfer case yoke.

Let me know if you want more info.
brouwmat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2013, 09:45 PM   #5
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCFD23
I have a 2004 grand Cherokee trail rated. I have a 2.5" lift on rear and 3" on front. The issue I am having is the CV that connects to the transfer case blew the bearing. When I changed it it has seems to be going again. It has got heated up and us making a winding noise again. I am going to take it back out until I can figure it out. Can anyone offer some input as to what is the issue. Or have you had this problem and how was it corrected?
I should of probably asked is it a V8 or I6? What 4WD system do you have? Quadradrive or Selec-trac?
Unread 09-15-2013, 08:05 PM   #6
DCFD23

It is the straight 6. Trail rated
Unread 09-15-2013, 09:39 PM   #7
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Quote:
It is the straight 6. Trail rated
I'd bet that it's the Selec-Trac and you've got the 242 transfer case with the cardan-repezza driveshaft just like my old one.. Correct?

I know that when I bought my 4" lift that some people said that I could run that for a year without any issues. My WJ had 134K on the odometer when I put on the lift and within a month, I had blown the boot and it shot grease all up under my Jeep. I figured then that I'd just go with the Double-Single Cardan so I didn't have to worry about it any longer. The thing about it is I also put in a 1" transfer case drop that came with the kit. If you're running 3" of lift without a TC drop, you're running about the same angle that I was on that DS.

If you replace that Repezza, you're just going to have the same issue again. I'd look at doing the swap to a Double-Single Cardan out of a ZJ or go with a new one from somewhere. You'll also need to get a yoke. Do you have a good place to go and get used parts nearby? That would probably be the cheapest.

This link has images of the different style of front driveshafts: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...29/index4.html

You can confirm which one you have there.

This guy had questions like you might have when rebuilding one: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/m...e-end-1580585/

This is the thread I used to get the info I used to rebuild mine: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...rsion-1499532/

Let me know if you have any questions.
Unread 09-16-2013, 02:45 AM   #8
DCFD23

On the link you sent its the repeeza fixed yoke shaft that is in mine. If that helps ti figure out what I should do.
Unread 09-16-2013, 08:46 AM   #9
DCFD23

Also just noticed its a Quadra-Trac II
Unread 09-16-2013, 08:54 AM   #10
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

So, it's the all time 4WD system? If so, I think the shaft length might be different and you'll want to get the right front shaft for that one or change out your Transfer Case as well. What do you do with the Jeep? Are you looking at hardcore trail riding or is this just a mall crawler (used on the street only)?
Unread 09-16-2013, 09:32 AM   #11
DCFD23

Its not a extreme rock crawler no. But its also not a mall crawler either prob the mid way point. I like my mud and love my hunting and hitting the trails on the weekend.
Unread 09-16-2013, 09:54 AM   #12
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Its not a extreme rock crawler no. But its also not a mall crawler either prob the mid way point. I like my mud and love my hunting and hitting the trails on the weekend.
Yeah, you'll probably want to go with the new DS then and get away from that Repezza joint. I have the Selec-Trac so it's got a slightly different Transfer Case. I think you can the same DS out of a ZJ that I did, but I'm not 100% positive about that.

You might want to put up a new thread in the WJ General Forum and put up a title like "Need Advice on front DS for a Quadra-Drive TC" and then tell a little about what your issue is and what you're looking to do. I'm sure you'll have more advice than you know what to do with.

You also might want to let them know if you've installed adjustable control arms or not and how you achieved that lift.. larger springs? a BB? You might have stated this before and I'm just not remembering it now. If you installed a lift from a specific company, mention that too and if you installed a TC drop as well.

I'm more than willing to continue to help, but I don't have that TC so I'd want to make sure you were getting the right thing.

If you look to go with a used one out of a ZJ you're probably looking at $70-$200 (depending on if you buy completely used parts and don't rebuild it or if you rebuild it using new joints, yoke, etc).

If you're looking at a completely new one and yoke, you're probably looking about $400-650 (depending on manufacturer).

This is a link to one from IRO. That I've seen pretty good reviews on.
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=PFW

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.