at wits end - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > at wits end

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 08-13-2013, 08:12 PM   #16
singleshot
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I entertained you laybackman...

Didn't do the trick, but I know where it's at now :-)

Unread 08-13-2013, 08:44 PM   #17
singleshot
2003 TJ Wrangler 

double post... sorry
Unread 08-14-2013, 05:32 AM   #18
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by singleshot View Post
I entertained you laybackman...

Didn't do the trick, but I know where it's at now :-)
The reason I asked you to pull the plug on the VSS sensor is the fact that the VSS, the crank and cam sensor share the same 8 volt circuit. The VSS sensor can short internally causing no blown fuse but shunts that 8 volts to ground. Needless to say if the ECU does not see any input from the crank or cam sensor it will never start. It is a rare event but not impossible.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 02:00 PM   #19
singleshot
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Moving along...

Pulled and reinstalled the crank position sensor and I got my fuel pump to run consistently when I turn the key to start (radio still won't work in that position, but will in the AC position).

She still won't run though. As I was laying out back by the tank and had my daughter try to crank it, I got an over-whelming smell of gas, so we are getting fuel now.

So I guess we are down to spark at this point... Time to pull the coil rail and the plugs to see what's going on down there I guess.
Unread 08-14-2013, 07:34 PM   #20
singleshot
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Got the jeep started this evening; hurray for "makes no sense what's so ever".

I was moving stuff around that I had replaced, putting old parts back on and then taking them off when I started messing with the cam position sensor (a part I replaced from the start).

I had left the two small bolts loose while she cranked the engine over. As it was cranking, I lift the sensor up about 1/4 of an inch and the jeep started. I was able to bolt it down while it was running and she kept running.

I then had the wife shut it off and try to restart it with the cam sensor bolted down and it wouldn't work. I repeated the lifting it up while cranking and it started again.

So that's where I have left off for the evening. I moved the jeep closer to my work area so I don't have to walk around the house for every single little item I'm after and shut it down for the evening.

I should add; this works with both the old sensor and the new sensor... totally repeatable with both and yet will not start with it bolted down.

Any idea's ???
Unread 06-18-2014, 06:27 PM   #21
singleshot
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I wanted to update this thread with an actual fix for the issues that remained:

Won't start consistently. (sometimes starts after several cranks, other times you'd run the battery dead trying).

No radio what so ever.

No back-up lights.

Air bag lights up and beeps shortly after it would actually start.

Blower motor wouldn't blow.

No rear defroster and or the defroster light would show on w/o me turning it on (it was never actually on at anytime).

After all I've replaced, the piece that cured all of the above was the ignition starter switch.

I tore into it in frustration and found that a good portion of the copper contacts inside were corroded to the point of being green.

A new one from NAPA ran me $27.00

Anywho, I'm headed out now to button it up and give her a badly needed bath.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.