Wiring an MSD in a YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Wiring an MSD in a YJ

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 04-15-2004, 07:26 AM   #1
Bullet-Proof

Wiring an MSD in a YJ

I posted in the YJ Forum before but no one was able to help me!!

Well, I have a new MSD 6AL + Blaster 3 coil. When I wired it in my friends 1993 jeep, it would NOT start!!?? I wired an MSD 6 before in a 1997 chroke and it worked fine... Is there difference in 93 wrangler and 97 Cherokee in terms of MSD wiring??

I wired the white wire of the MSD to the -ve wire which was connected to the coil, is this right? or should it be connected to the Distributer?

Thanx in Advance

Bullet-Proof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2004, 11:06 PM   #2
mde

I'm running into the same problem but with the Mallory HyFire system. I do believe you can use either or. Meaning the white wire trigger to negative coil wire or the purple and violet wires to the Dist. Let me know how it turns out.
Matt
mde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2004, 04:57 AM   #3
Bullet-Proof

Thanx for the reply

Well, I did connect the white trigger wire to the negative coil wire, but the car will not start. I also noticed that there is low voltage on the msd red wire which I connected to the positive wire of the coil. I also forgot to mention that when I first installed the MSD in the YJ, the battery got weak. Also when am trying to turn ON the car with MSD, I use jumpers... Could this be the problem??
Bullet-Proof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2004, 10:12 AM   #4
mde

I'll tell you one thing if it is draining your battery something is wrong. Do you have an installation manual? All the wires are going somewhere, except of course one of the trigger wires. For me it's been a long process of trial and error. Still havn't got it right.
You should have at least 12V coming off the positive lead ( originally connected to the coil ) to the small red wire on the MSD box. Take a meter to it and see. If not 12V than you will have to cut back the resistor wire until you achieve 12. Also make sure you have a solid ground for the MSD box.

If you get it working or have anyomore problems let me know.
cheers
mde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2004, 10:26 AM   #5
Joseph Humphrey

i had some problems when i wired my msd 6 box into my zj. i called the msd tech support line and they talked me through the install (ie which wire to connect where) intill we found the missed / wrong connection and it fired right up.

give them a call and they will help you fix it. unfortunately its not toll free....
The Almighty 2" BB Jeep Club Member #34 (no more BB)
----------------
[B]Silver 98 ZJ 4.0 I-6[/B]
K&N FIPK Gen II
JKS Adjustable Track Bars F and R
JKS Adjustable Control Arms
JKS Quicker Disco's
Kevins 3.5" Lift Kit w/ MX-6 Shocks
US Wheel 15x8 10 spoke black Steelies, 31" BFG AT KO rubber
Joseph Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.