Wining noise from transfer case NP242 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Wining noise from transfer case NP242

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 03-20-2013, 02:35 PM   #16
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scross1220
I jacked up the car and you are right. I can hear the bearing grind when I rotated the axle. Damn! The break pads an rotor is covered in grease what a mess!! I am sure the axle is trashed but I wont know till I open things up. I will take pics. Today I have changed the following after 100K; Water pump, radiator, alternator, condenser, rotors, rear and front main seals, Transfer case seals, Head gasket (Don't ask why but I had a small oil leak I just wanted something to do that day), electric seat motor, airbag module, RT door window regulator, gas filter (pain in the butt), wiper motor, front headlight assy(Foggy want a new look anyway) Take a deep breath......and changes all the interior lighting to LED and cool dash!! Now I think that covers it....I think.. Ohmmmmmmm
Yeap, it's probably chewing that axle up. I think you can re sleeve it for 30 or get a new axle for 120ish. I would re axle it, just because I don't like dumping good fluid if I botch the sleeve install.

seattle_yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 08:00 PM   #17
scross1220
2002 WJ 

Oh bad news. The left axle is trashed and the bearing obliterated. Looks like the pinion gear bearing went bad cause its loose. I did not know this until I took everything apart. I am not sure what to do at this point but my neighbor thinks I should get a doner rearend if I want to keep the Jeep rather than to rebuild. I am note sure what went bad first. The carnage is awlful. I guess the vibration was too bad but I did not noticed it. Crap.
scross1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2013, 12:34 AM   #18
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Oh bad news. The left axle is trashed and the bearing obliterated. Looks like the pinion gear bearing went bad cause its loose. I did not know this until I took everything apart. I am not sure what to do at this point but my neighbor thinks I should get a doner rearend if I want to keep the Jeep rather than to rebuild. I am note sure what went bad first. The carnage is awlful. I guess the vibration was too bad but I did not noticed it. Crap.
Can you snap a pic of it? Good news is you can find rear from pull-a-part for about a hundred bucks. Which is the cost of a new shaft anyway.

It all seems pretty overwhelming I'm sure but people here will help you get it figured out.
Unread 03-22-2013, 03:43 AM   #19
scross1220
2002 WJ 

i am going to do that today. I have my car at my neighbors garage since he has the lift. I will send them tis morning. I have a Dana 35c I want to put in a Dana 44A. should be able to do that or stick with the same?
scross1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2013, 12:38 PM   #20
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
i am going to do that today. I have my car at my neighbors garage since he has the lift. I will send them tis morning. I have a Dana 35c I want to put in a Dana 44A. should be able to do that or stick with the same?
I'm not sure. It all depends on if they are hard to find and if they need any fab work to install them.

Good luck, post the carnage and your fixes.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.