Wining noise from transfer case NP242 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Wining noise from transfer case NP242

Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 03-17-2013, 08:21 PM   #1
scross1220
2002 WJ 

Wining noise from transfer case NP242

I have a question, yesterday when driving my 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee I noticed a wining noise from the transfer case. It was cold out 33 degrees and it happen in the morning and once in the afternoon. I has not happen since but when I looked under the Jeep I saw ATF leaking out of the rear output shaft seal on the transfer case and sprayed on the underside of the vehicle. What I like to know is there more damage to transfer case other than the seal? Should I just replace the seal and see what happens or should I teardown the transfer case. I have not heard the noise since but am concerend.

scross1220 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2013, 09:45 PM   #2
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Just yank the rear seal. Dump the rest of the oil. Clean it all up nice with degreaser. And reseat the seal with a piece of plastics PVC and a small amount of rtv around the seal. Try that and slap some clean cardboard down to check for any leaks when it's parked.
seattle_yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 06:32 AM   #3
scross1220
2002 WJ 

Thanks I will give it a try. I will let you know how it turns out.
Unread 03-18-2013, 11:17 AM   #4
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

You probably already know this but which ever method you use to get the seal out, be it slid hammer, screw driver, seal remover. Just don't scratch the aluminum seat. I raked it once with a seal remover claw and it had to be replaced.
Unread 03-18-2013, 12:14 PM   #5
scross1220
2002 WJ 

Ouch. That is one fear of mine. I will be careful. Hopefully it will a simple job. My other concern is that the bearing isn't toast but I have a plan for that. I only have 119K on it and the truck has been used for light use so should I be concerned about the chain. I could tear down the case but if I do not have to I wont. Any thoughts?
Unread 03-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #6
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I would start with the seal, because even if you have to tear it down later you wont have to do it again. You can usually tell the shape of the input shaft bearing and the front and rear output shaft bearing by checking for play. This can be done with the shafts still in place. If the bearing has up down movement, it is on its way out. If the bearing moves out of the seat, it probably has some heat damage due to oil starvation. I rebuilt units that the bearing literally pops out in my hand because it has been spinning in the seat. You can correct it with a bearing locktight product.

For your situation, I would just leave the chain as it, unless you do a full rebuild. It should be good to go with just the new seal from what it sounds like. You'll know if the chain is bad because it will slip. And you will hear it non stop if 4hi low.

Hope that helps. Let me know.
Unread 03-18-2013, 08:14 PM   #7
scross1220
2002 WJ 

I will do just that I do not want to put more work into than I have to. I don't want to cause more damage to it. Thanks for your help all.
Unread 03-19-2013, 04:53 PM   #8
scross1220
2002 WJ 

Just changed the seal and it seems to be holding up. I did noticed that the real u-joint was trashed so I changed both the front and rear. The other issues not related is that when I turn the steering wheel to the left the right front tire seems to be slipping event though the transfer case is in 2wd. That is wired. I hope I don't have a front diff issue.
Unread 03-19-2013, 05:45 PM   #9
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scross1220
Just changed the seal and it seems to be holding up. I did noticed that the real u-joint was trashed so I changed both the front and rear. The other issues not related is that when I turn the steering wheel to the left the right front tire seems to be slipping event though the transfer case is in 2wd. That is wired. I hope I don't have a front diff issue.
I'm not sure of the inter workings of the front diff on your specific model. Assuming there is no vac disconnect hang up. You might wanna pop the cover just to peek. I would replace the front ujoints as well but probably not immediately necessary, maybe before summer hits. You may wanna post that in the model specific part of the forum and see what kind of love it gets there.
Unread 03-19-2013, 08:04 PM   #10
scross1220
2002 WJ 

As a read you post I think its more a u-joint issue. Just installed the the front and rear and I will take it for a ride in the morning. What I forgot o tell you but I am sure you already know is the slipping or bucking of the front right wheel happens when I am moving very slow like pulling away from a curb. I probably need new tires since they are showing some cracking on the sides. Also there was a lot of sand on the road so maybe it has something to do with it. The transfer case is solid no issues and shifts like it should. I had to a lot of work on this jeep since it turned 100K but thats what owning a jeep is all about I guess. Just one more job I have to do is replace the left rear axle seal and bearing since its leaking. Just wish I had a press. Anyway of working around this or should I take it to a shop. Thanks again for your help.
Unread 03-20-2013, 12:10 AM   #11
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

You should be able to do it. You can get a harbor freight press for 60 bucks if you use the 20% coupon that is all over the place. I don't like to take things to the shop for seals because I've seen how they install it, and they do way worse job than I ever would as a novice. It's like they don't give two craps and if you make it out the door with no leaks, they don't care what happens to you. I just had to pull a tcase apart that was 'rebuilt' 15k ago by 4wheelparts. They didn't take the 15 minutes extra to get the rtv to skin over before torquing it down and squeezing rtv into the oil journals. What a mess and a great waste of money.

For the seals I think you make a home brew deal out of threaded rod to do the inners. They have an example in the YJ section and I believe it's in the write ups section as well. I did this 10 years ago and haven't since.

See if you can find it and check it out. I poke around as well.
Unread 03-20-2013, 06:41 AM   #12
scross1220
2002 WJ 

I will take your advice. I took it for a test drive this morning and the TC is great and the skipping has stopped Yea. The squeek is still there and I beleive its is the rear wheel bearing. I have new u joints so I can rule that out and I can only hear the noise on the left hand side when I excelerate to 2k RPM. does that sound about right?
Unread 03-20-2013, 11:44 AM   #13
scross1220
2002 WJ 

I have one last question. The rear diff on my jeep is a Dana 35C. Do you know if I need to remove the diff cover to the axle out another words does the axle have a c clip. I know that the dana 44A does not but I don't want to have to pop open the diff to get the axle out if I don't want to.
Unread 03-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #14
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah its the C-clip version. Unless someone installed the c-clip eliminator.

Regarding the bearing, looks like people are using a slide hammer to remove it. I remember when I did mine, they were so bad that they literally feel out into my hand. The bearings were spinning in the seat and wore some nice groves in the axles themselfs. I got the G2 axles for 100 and they came with bearings so I just put those in.

To check, you should be able to jack up the rear and try and move the rear tires around. If you can get it to clunk then the bearings are probably bad. Remove with the slide hammer and use the old bearing race to seat the new one.

It seams like when mine hit 100k all hell broke loose and things started to literally fall off. It all comes back together and eventually you will have gone through everything and end up with a reliable rig (with no car payment - thats important)
Unread 03-20-2013, 02:12 PM   #15
scross1220
2002 WJ 

I jacked up the car and you are right. I can hear the bearing grind when I rotated the axle. Damn! The break pads an rotor is covered in grease what a mess!! I am sure the axle is trashed but I wont know till I open things up. I will take pics. Today I have changed the following after 100K; Water pump, radiator, alternator, condenser, rotors, rear and front main seals, Transfer case seals, Head gasket (Don't ask why but I had a small oil leak I just wanted something to do that day), electric seat motor, airbag module, RT door window regulator, gas filter (pain in the butt), wiper motor, front headlight assy(Foggy want a new look anyway) Take a deep breath......and changes all the interior lighting to LED and cool dash!! Now I think that covers it....I think.. Ohmmmmmmm

Tags
np242

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.