Will not turn over, just clicks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Will not turn over, just clicks

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 07-08-2013, 05:07 PM   #1
ntbctatum

Will not turn over, just clicks

Replaced battery, battery cables, and starter. Please help!

ntbctatum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 05:17 PM   #2
caiha

Alternator. Have you done that. Will it jump off. That about all you got left to replace.
caiha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 07:49 PM   #3
DaemonForce

I would vote alternator issue but clean your connections first. Does it just click once? You should probably try giving the starter and solenoid a good whack with a soft mallet. I'm betting something is stuck.
DaemonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 11:04 PM   #4
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Insure the battery is charged.
Insure the battery is grounded to both the frame and engine.
check for voltage at both sides of the solenoid when it is engaged. should be a solid 12V or more with the starter inoperative.
Check for voltage at the starter. If you have a voltage drop, you will need to check the cable.
If all of the above are good, you may want to check the brushes on the starter or a jammed Bendix drive.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 09:49 AM   #5
mello

Will motor turn over by hand? If it will not remove belt and see if it will turn over by hand.
mello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 03:18 PM   #6
JWBooth
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I highly recommend checking, cleaning/scrubbing/wire brushing and torquing down connections from battery to starter and all your grounds. I replaced my starter earlier this and had a very similar issue. After cleaning the shiznit outta the connections my problem was solved. Definitely worth a shot.
**LONG LIVE 4-LOW**LONG LIVE 4-LOW**LONG LIVE 4-LOW**
JWBooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 03:39 PM   #7
caiha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntbctatum
Replaced battery, battery cables, and starter. Please help!
Try jumping it and then disconnect the battery while its running. If it dies then alternator. If it stays running then check solenoid starter etc.
caiha is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.