Will this hurt my engine??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Will this hurt my engine???

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-16-2004, 07:47 AM   #1
bamakrw
1986 CJ7 

Will this hurt my engine???

I was putting oil in my jeep last night and the little protective piece of aluminum foil that is on the spout of the bottle (ya know what I'm talkin' about...the seal that you have to puncture before you can pour the oil out) well....it went in with the oil. It is about the size of a nickel. Will this harm my engine? Or will it make it to the oil pan? Get caught by the filter? I used a flash light and tried to see if maybe I could get it with a pair of needle nose but I couldn't see it. What should I do? Will it be ok to run it ?

bamakrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2004, 07:53 AM   #2
GreenReaper93

I'm thinkin' that's gonna be a bad thing.... if it somehow passes through the screen/oil pick-up and makes it into the pump...well, it's not going to be good. Have you run it since it fell in?
GreenReaper93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2004, 08:05 AM   #3
bamakrw
1986 CJ7 

Yeah, I drove it this morning. It drove fine. I stopped by this mechanic shop that is on my way to work, and a guy there said that it wouldn't hurt it but I am still unsure about it.
Unread 04-16-2004, 09:13 AM   #4
KAKERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamakrw
Yeah, I drove it this morning. It drove fine. I stopped by this mechanic shop that is on my way to work, and a guy there said that it wouldn't hurt it but I am still unsure about it.
You might could try draining the oil pan and seeing if it comes out with the fresh oil. But honestly I bet it's still up on top of the head either stuck next to a valve spring or possibly in the drain hole going back to the pan. I don't think I would worry about it too much, not that I'd want that crap in my engine, but the likelyhood of it hurting it is remote. It's such a light foil and it won't disentegrate so just cross your fingers and hope for the best. Should be fine.
KAKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2004, 09:20 AM   #5
bamakrw
1986 CJ7 

Man, I sure hope your right!
Unread 04-16-2004, 10:10 AM   #6
Orange Juice

I just hope it doesn't get in a oil drain hole and block it or worse yet, block a line with pressure. Sometimes the simplest things can cause the most problems. I somehow dropped a single lockwasher in the intake of a 79 Trans Am that I had. I wasn't sure if I dropped it or not, and just hoped for the best. As soon as I started it, it was confirmed. Engine was knocking. It lasted about 3 months after that, and when pulled down, I found pieces of it in the heads on 3 different cylinders.
Orange Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2004, 10:51 AM   #7
bamakrw
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Juice
I just hope it doesn't get in a oil drain hole and block it or worse yet, block a line with pressure. Sometimes the simplest things can cause the most problems. I somehow dropped a single lockwasher in the intake of a 79 Trans Am that I had. I wasn't sure if I dropped it or not, and just hoped for the best. As soon as I started it, it was confirmed. Engine was knocking. It lasted about 3 months after that, and when pulled down, I found pieces of it in the heads on 3 different cylinders.
EWWW. Not good. It's what I have thinking about but not really what I wanted to hear.
Unread 04-16-2004, 12:28 PM   #8
MSHarnett
Broke Bogger

Yeah but a lock washer in the intake is a bit more serious than a piece of foil in the oil, haha that rhymes . I'd try to drain it and see if it falls out. The refill it again and drian it again. If not, then I'd let the engine beat it into a bluddy pulp and hope for the best.
Unread 04-16-2004, 07:02 PM   #9
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Pull the valve cover and see if it's still on the head first.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2004, 01:06 PM   #10
zookie85

defiently pull the valve cover, ill bet $$ that it is still up there.
zookie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2004, 07:13 AM   #11
bamakrw
1986 CJ7 

Do ya think it is still there now that the jeep has been driven over 250 miles?
Unread 04-19-2004, 10:16 AM   #12
MSHarnett
Broke Bogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamakrw
Do ya think it is still there now that the jeep has been driven over 250 miles?
I think your good dude, its probably all crushed up in a ball and stuck in your oil filter.
Unread 04-19-2004, 01:02 PM   #13
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

It shouldn't make it to the filter without going thru the pickup screen first. I would bet it stayed up on the head. I would be more worried about it plugging an oil drainback passage before worrying about it running thru the pressurized system.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2004, 11:09 PM   #14
Orange Juice

For probably less than $10 and an hours work, the valve cover could be removed and see if it is still in there. If so, problem solved and you can sleep better. If it's not there, oh well, back to the drawing board.
Orange Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2004, 07:16 AM   #15
bamakrw
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Juice
For probably less than $10 and an hours work, the valve cover could be removed and see if it is still in there. If so, problem solved and you can sleep better. If it's not there, oh well, back to the drawing board.

Well, I would have probably removed the valve cover AGAIN but I jut got finished replacing it when I was pouring oil in it. I had to replace the valve cover 2 times last week. I have driven it well over 300 miles now with no problems. But I'm sure something could happen at anytime now.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.