will a 258 I6 bolt to a 700r4 without a kit? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > will a 258 I6 bolt to a 700r4 without a kit?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 07-17-2013, 06:20 PM   #1
dezdawn
1985 CJ7 

will a 258 I6 bolt to a 700r4 without a kit?

I have a 85 CJ7 with a 258 I6, and I'm wondering if I can get a 700r4 and bolt it right up? I am new to this, so please help me out

thanks

dezdawn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 06:21 PM   #2
dezdawn
1985 CJ7 

and if will not bolt right up, is there an auto tranny that will?
Unread 07-17-2013, 08:37 PM   #3
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

No it will not bolt up. Not to the engine or transfer case. Any auto that will bolt up directly will not be an overdrive non electronic trans. An AW4 out of an XJ is the closest but shifts electronically. At this time there is no store bought stand alone shift assy for it. You would have to build your own.

Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 10:01 PM   #4
DaemonForce

It's SUPPOSED to bolt up but I have no idea how the shifting mechanism is supposed to work since it's supposed to have a downshift cable on the passenger side of the assembly. The whole shifting of the thing looks weird to me because of the linkages. I've never considered this transmission because of the endless drama it has caused in other vehicles. What this engine REALLY needs for an automatic is an OD model of the A-904. Maybe you can find some A-512 out of an early Dodge pickup? Not sure if the bell is right though but it's a thought that's been in my mind for a while. Not sure if anyone has ever done it to an Eagle let alone a CJ.
DaemonForce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 10:29 PM   #5
Always2L8
1982 CJ8 

What are you trying to accomplish? Do you want an over-drive? Do you have the gearing to make use of an over-drive? The automatic that came standard in CJ's with the I6's, is the non-overdrive TF999 http://www.jeeptech.com/trans/tf999.html . It is a straight bolt in to the engine and d300 transfer case.

As mentioned the 700R4 does not bolt onto the I6 or D300 without pricey adapters. Go here http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge...ge_gateway.htm for excellent information.
Always2L8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 11:08 PM   #6
dezdawn
1985 CJ7 

ok well I am wanting to make my 4WD standard 3 speed, into a auto 2WD. as easily as possible. what 2WD auto transmissions will fit my 258?
Unread 07-17-2013, 11:31 PM   #7
DaemonForce

Uhm, for me it would be easier to keep the 4WD with every Chrysler torqueflite. Concerning 2WD you would be bolting up an A-904 or whatever else AMC had in the Hornet, Concord and Spirit vehicles. Depending on the year of the engine you might be able to use the transmission from a Rambler but that's a serious stretch. All the 2WD transmissions in late Cherokee models aren't all that flexible when going back to a carb'd motor. You're hunting something that does exist, but shouldn't.
DaemonForce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.