Wide vs short axle widths - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Wide vs short axle widths

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-05-2013, 08:50 AM   #1
401v8cj5
1975 CJ5 

Wide vs short axle widths

Hello to all, I want to get the opinion of others. My 75cj5 currently has the stock Dana 30 front end that has been regeared and has a locker installed. I have a ford 9" rearend out of a full size that I geared to match my Dana 30 and put a locker in it also. The rear axle is a lot wide than the front. I can't decide on narrowing the rear to match the front, getting a new front axle to match the back width, or leaving it like it is. This is a trail and mud jeep that is trailered around. What do y'all think are the advantages and disadvantages of my 3 options?

401v8cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 09:42 AM   #2
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

I would do one of these two.
1 you could run a wide trac Dana 30
2 you could make up a Scout or Waggy Dana 44 front end
BlueRubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 01:00 PM   #3
ajmorell

How much wider is the rear? I'm guessing ~5" total. I was going to suggest wheel spacers but I don't think 2.5" wheel spacers would come very highly recommended. You could probably get some 1.5-2" spacers to get it closer...that would be the cheapest option.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.