Why is the 4.2 so weak? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Why is the 4.2 so weak?

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 10-02-2001, 06:46 PM   #1
Brendan

Why is the 4.2 so weak?

I have a pre fuel injected YJ. Needless to say I suffer from a severe lack of power. I don't understand how such a large engine (4.2 freakin liters) could have so little power. Is it the head design? the fuel system. I mean if there is such a big combustion chamber why do I have barely 120 horses. It's embaressing to know that the 4 bangers have almost as much power as me. What can I do to get more power?!

95 YJ 2.5L 5 Speed

Fightin a war against Florida Rust!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2001, 12:44 PM   #2
87yj350

The heads on the 4.2's don't flow well, you can put a 4.0 head on which is much better and get more power. You can also change the intake to put a 4bbl or better yet go efi. You should check out cliffordperformance.com they specilize in 6 cylinders.
87yj350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2001, 05:07 PM   #3
FLHT_FXRS_YJ

If your power has been very poor, or it's really hard to get any rpm's, check the cat. converter. If it gets plugged up, it will really rob the engine power.
89' YJ - 4.2 - NV4500 - NP231w/sye - 1" Body Lift - 2 1/2" Rancho Suspension Lift - 31" Firestone MTR - AR Outlaw II - Tomken Bumpers F & R - Warn 8000 front - Warn 6000 rec. mount rear - FlowFit Seats - Tom Woods Rear & Custom 2" front driveshafts
FLHT_FXRS_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2001, 06:01 PM   #4
Brendan

My cat is a hinderance, but its performing like it should If I swapped in the 4.0 L heads, could I still swap in the holley carb, and intake manifold, or are the bolting patterns different? Also, what are the different kinds of ignition, and what the benifits and drawbacks? Thanks alot.

95 YJ 2.5L 5 Speed

Unread 10-24-2001, 06:18 PM   #5
JL

I'm researching for the rebuild and build-up I'm about to do on my 4.2. You'll retain the original intake and carb (or whatever aftermarket 4.2 parts)with the 4.0 head swap, but you'll need an exhaust manifold/header from a 4.0. I've heard estimates of between 25-40 hp gains, as well as a gas mileage increase. I'll probably port the head too before I put it on. Might as well while I'm tweaking...

By the way, the kit for this costs somewhere in the neighborhood of $1000 if I'm not mistaken, but all the parts involved can be had for CONSIDERABLY less. This is the most thorough site I've found.
Unread 10-25-2001, 02:04 AM   #6
CJ junky

Guys,go here. http:/monsterslayer.com/jeep/40Head/40Head.htm This is the most complete site I've found about doing a 4.0 head swap.
CJ junky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2001, 03:21 PM   #7
Brendan

thanks you guys, what does porting the heads mean? Sorry for the dumb *** question. Can I swap any 4.0 head in. If I ask a junk yard for a 4.0 Head, what should I look for, one from a Wrangler, and how will I know if the valves sit well? Thanks for all the help

95 YJ 2.5L 5 Speed

Unread 10-25-2001, 05:59 PM   #8
JL

Now Brendan, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask. Seriously, I didn't know any of this stuff either until I started reading about it. Porting the head involves grinding the inside of the head out to let more air flow through. Machine shops do it, and you can buy kits to do it yourself. (I'll probably opt for the latter)

As far as what year, most sources I've seen say '91 and up. These are supposed to be the high output (HO) 4.0 engines. The casting # for these heads is on the site I mentioned.

Don't know about the valves, but let me know what you find out.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.