who makes the best spark plug? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > who makes the best spark plug?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 05-05-2009, 01:36 AM   #16
jumbojeepman
1976 CJ7 

I like NGK's. Every NGK plug I've ever pulled from the box was correctly gapped. Definitely can't say that about Champions. However, they are sometimes difficult to find for American trucks. In these cases, I use Autolites.

I definitely wouldn't waste any money on platinum plugs unless the manufacturer calls for them.

jumbojeepman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2009, 08:35 AM   #17
Happy Joe
1985 CJ7 

I use champions, with a brass terminal distributor cap (aluminum terminals are a hidden problem waiting to happen) along with a msd-6a ignition box. Check and re-gap the plugs every 75,000 miles or so.

Enjoy!

Carburetors became obsolete during the last century... do what ever it takes to get fuel injection...It makes bigger grins off road.
Happy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2009, 08:06 PM   #18
1996BlackXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Good 'ole (and cheap) Champion Copper Cores are in my Jeep. Runs great!
4.5" lift of assorted brands, 33x10.5 KM2s on D-Windows, JCR rear bumper, Nates Slimline w/Champion 8k winch, custom half doors, roof rack, and tire carrier, Maine Woods dents and pin striping, and various other cool things.
www.maine4x4.org Maine Jeep Club Member #1 Firefighter Jeep Club Member Black Jeep Society Member #163Survivalist Jeep Club Member #14
1996BlackXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2009, 11:44 AM   #19
Pillswoj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Anything but Bosch

The +4's are too cold of a plug in the 4.0L and they will carbon up.

My Thread with pics from trying Bosch +4s http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/spark-plugs-should-have-listened-jerry-541430/

I now use Autolite AP985's and they work great . If you have a distributerless ignition use the APP985s (Double Platinum)
Unread 05-11-2009, 11:19 PM   #20
1998zj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I tried to run Bosch in my 89 4.2. It missed and sputtered so bad I went back and bought Champions the next day. Problem solved. I will never run another Bosch plug.
1998zj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2009, 04:27 PM   #21
KrazyGimp
1982 CJ5 

I'm throwing in my vote for Champion truck plugs too. I've tried everything from them to the most expensive 4 tip platinum plugs you can buy and I've always gone back to Champion's. I threw a set of Bosch Platinums in the garbage the day I bought them because my Jeep wouldn't run worth a crap. The Champions just seem to run so much better in my motor, never had one problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK
...that's why you push in that little nipple (hehe.. I said nipple on the internet :D )
KrazyGimp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2009, 10:00 AM   #22
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

Bosch +4s go in my Caliber. My wrangler 2.5L only gets Champion truck plugs. Only replaced the plugs once in it, and neves done the rotor/cap in 80k miles and mine still runs great.
Unread 05-20-2009, 01:49 AM   #23
AndThenRobSaid
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I used to own a saturn and am a member of a forum for saturn enthusiasts (let the flaming begin, i know...). Everyone over there hated bosch platinums like the plague. Equated in usefulness to the turbonator. NGKs seemed to work well for my N/A 4-banger that I had.
Unread 07-03-2009, 10:57 PM   #24
TDmaster
2009 JK Wrangler 

My '09 JK comes stock with platinum plugs (according to the manual), but since I am installing a RIPP Modifications Supercharger, their kit comes with NGK IX Iridium plugs one step colder than stock. I was looking for better spark plug wires and decided to purchase the MPG Plus Spark Plug Wires by Granatelli for the JK. They are "0" resistance wires and suppose to deliver more spark to the plugs. I have a concern that the coil may prematurely fail due to the zero resistance and need a lead on a high performace coil to replace the stock one. Can't seem to google one on the internet????
TDmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2009, 12:02 AM   #25
cntp
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I know the newer (01+ maybe) 4.0's have coil on plug. It wouldn't surprise me if the V6's in the JK's did too, but I have no idea. You've done your research/know what you're talking about, right? I only say that 'cause I know someone that went to buy plugs/wires/coil for his TJ, only to find out that he didn't have them . That really threw him for a loop.
Unread 07-04-2009, 01:52 AM   #26
RRCP08JK
2010 JK Wrangler 

I've used Denso Iridium plugs in a SC 3.2 MB motor and noticed a fairly substantial difference. If they make them for the Wrangler, i'll throw them on when the time comes. I also changed the stocke wires to Magnecor 8.5mm - --pretty nice.
Unread 07-11-2009, 09:51 PM   #27
southernmudzj
1996 ZJ 

i use autolite 24s and they work great
Unread 07-12-2009, 12:06 AM   #28
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

More electrodes Does nothing those +4's worthless they all take path of least resistance so if 1 plug was off .0000000000000000000000000000001 that is the side that gets the spark.

I use autolights in the 4.0slow
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2009, 12:18 PM   #29
brendanc
2002 KJ Liberty 

Libertys might not be the most popular jeep for trail riding because of the IFS, but I try anyway...

That said, I need to replace my spark plugs and I was looking for the best spark plugs I can get. Whatever came with my jeep are still in there at 55k and I am starting to feel the engine not running as smooth as it used to.

I read through the thread and you guys seem to like Champion... but should I go with Platinum or Iridium? There is a $6, Iridiums being more expensive. Thoughts?

Any other tips would be appreciated, I want to get the job done well and right the first time.

Edit: Also, I am getting many mixed results as to the gapping for my vehicle? The spark plugs say do 0.035, under the hood says 0.040, and haynes manual says 0.045? What gives? Who should I listen to?

Last edited by brendanc; 07-15-2009 at 01:26 PM..
brendanc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2009, 12:31 AM   #30
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I don't know what is best for a 2.5L or a 4.2L, but I know from experience with my XJ and LJ that the 4L loves NGK copper plugs. Just the regular NGK copper, not the platinum.

I once tried some fancy Bosch platinum 4 prong plugs in my XJ and it ran terrible (no low end torque). The stock plugs (Autolite I think?) are OK. Boche terrible. NGK cooper are by far the best for the 4L (idles smoother, same midend and highend torque as the other two plugs I mentioned, but way better low end torque and smoother running at lowend).

For the 4L I've found NGK are the best. The regular cooper NGK.

NGK also worked best in my motorcyle. I'm really an NGK fan after trying Champion, Autolite, Bosch, and NGK in various engines.
CB3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.