who makes the best spark plug? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > who makes the best spark plug?

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 02-03-2002, 08:58 AM   #1
Brendan

who makes the best spark plug?

I'm gonna be replacing my plug wires and plugs soon, and I've never done it before. Just wondering what plug to go with.

95 YJ 2.5L 5 Speed

Fightin a war against Florida Rust!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2002, 09:15 PM   #2
Mat&His97XJ

Bosch Platinum 4 plugs I here are the best by far, at about $5.00 each. You can never change the gapping though but why would you want to whe they are preset.
Unread 02-03-2002, 10:14 PM   #3
jeepster18_88

I don't know much about spark plugs but Bosch is the best. As for any performance difference, I dought that you could ever find one that made a power increase. I've heard that platinum plugs take less voltage to make a hotter spark but foul out easier if you engine burns any oil. I'd save my money and buy a regular Bosch plug set. If you ever want to upgrade your ignition to say MSD or Jacobs you would need to open up your gaps and you can't with the Platinum 4's. As for wires, any 8mm will work good.
Unread 02-04-2002, 06:24 AM   #4
Brendan

thanks alot guys, I think I'll go with bosch then.

95 YJ 2.5L 5 Speed

Fightin a war against Florida Rust!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2002, 08:34 AM   #5
West

Before you replace your wires you may want to decide if you are going to want to do the "TFI" ignition upgrade. If so you can pick up the cap, rotor and adapter you need and buy the appropriate wires. You can always purchase the TFI coil later, or just buy a perfromace coil for the duraspark like the "blaster 2F' and it will mount in the existing coil bracket and use the horseshoe connecter.
West is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2002, 05:24 PM   #6
Bob K

My 4.2 loves Bosch Platinums. The +4's are probably a waste of money. The Juice Box ignition system is the best $130 I ever spent on my Jeep. Definitely a "Best Buy", two thumbs up.
31" BFG A/T's
K&N Filter
Custom Rock Guards
Turbo Muffler
Rear Track Bar in the shed
Other Tricks I won't tell to just anybody!

'99 Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8
Towing Package
K&N FIPK
ProComp MX6 shocks
Borla Exhaust
Tow Hooks
Alpine CD with Infinity+iPod connect
Just getting started!

If you're not living on the edge...
you're taking up too much space.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2008, 10:24 PM   #7
mniemela
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I could be wrong, but I've been told that platinum plugs are not supposed to be installed in chrysler vehicles. When my dad put the platinums in his cherokee, it was a huge mistake and he went back to the regular copper; and it runs well now. It also depends on what works with your jeep. Experiment!!!
mniemela is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2008, 11:51 PM   #8
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mniemela View Post
I could be wrong, but I've been told that platinum plugs are not supposed to be installed in chrysler vehicles. When my dad put the platinums in his cherokee, it was a huge mistake and he went back to the regular copper; and it runs well now. It also depends on what works with your jeep. Experiment!!!
Never heard that before. I run them in 2 XJs without problems. I'm forced to run fine wire style plugs in my 93 due to a full MSD ignition. The high voltage CD ignition erodes the electrodes on other types of plugs too quickly.
Unread 08-07-2008, 06:36 AM   #9
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

www.pulstar.com

i'll be going with them when it comes time to change. I work with an Electrical Engineer who swears by them.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2008, 06:58 AM   #10
ajmorell

You guys gotta be kidding me, do you know anything about spark plugs?

They best plugs to run in your YJ are the OE spec'd ones - probably Champions. Bosch plugs are a joke, I haven't talked to anyone that likes them in a variety of different vehicles. Also, don't waste your money on plugs like the Bosch +4s, +2s, or AC Delco Splitfires. The spark will NEVER arc across all 4 of the electrodes - it will always follow the path of least resistance and I guarantee that Bosch's manufacturing tolerances aren't tight enough to guarantee the gap on the electrodes is so close enough between all 4 that the spark arc's across all 4 electrodes.

I haven't heard much about the Pulstar plugs but I am a bit skeptical of those as well.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2008, 08:18 AM   #11
Whybu1
Lets go Penguins!!!!

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Many TJs do not like the platinum plugs that have the platinum on one side of the electrode only. Either has to be on both sides or none at all. Champion truck plugs have worked well for me so far.
Whybu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2008, 08:21 AM   #12
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

i use champion truck plugs. i like them much better than the NGk pieces of crap that it came with

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2008, 08:22 AM   #13
Happy Joe
1985 CJ7 

Just go with Champion plugs, you can substitute a junkyard Ford coil for the existing coil the addition of an MSD 6a might be worth while if you go off road. I don't know about the availability of a larger high voltage cap but if you change the cap/rotor get the larger ones if you can and if they will fit and always get a cap with brass terminals inside (you might have to spend a bit more at NAPA); aluminum terminals in ignition caps will give problems eventually.

Enjoy!

Carburetors became obsolete during the last century... do what ever it takes to get fuel injection...It makes bigger grins off road.
Happy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2008, 07:09 AM   #14
roundlitefan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Bosch plugs are great if you like spending 3x more on an item that doesn't work as well as a plain old Champion.

But hey....its PLATINUM and has all those stupid shaped electrodes, so it must be better!
roundlitefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2009, 12:31 AM   #15
XxWickedxX
2006 FSJ Cherokee 

I ended up on a website for E3 Sparkplugs. Im not going to drop the link to the site cause I am new and do not know the rules just yet but just add a dot com to the name. I scrolled down to the bottom to learn more about the plugs and it seem to be possibly a new plug to consider. I would be curious to hear some people that know a bit more about plugs tell me what they think. They crap or are they in the right direction?
XxWickedxX is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.