JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Engines & Drivetrain (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/)
-   -   who makes the best spark plug? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/who-makes-best-spark-plug-13004/)

Brendan 02-03-2002 08:58 AM

who makes the best spark plug?

I'm gonna be replacing my plug wires and plugs soon, and I've never done it before. Just wondering what plug to go with.

Mat&His97XJ 02-03-2002 09:15 PM

Bosch Platinum 4 plugs I here are the best by far, at about $5.00 each. You can never change the gapping though but why would you want to whe they are preset.

jeepster18_88 02-03-2002 10:14 PM

I don't know much about spark plugs but Bosch is the best. As for any performance difference, I dought that you could ever find one that made a power increase. I've heard that platinum plugs take less voltage to make a hotter spark but foul out easier if you engine burns any oil. I'd save my money and buy a regular Bosch plug set. If you ever want to upgrade your ignition to say MSD or Jacobs you would need to open up your gaps and you can't with the Platinum 4's. As for wires, any 8mm will work good.

Brendan 02-04-2002 06:24 AM

thanks alot guys, I think I'll go with bosch then.

West 02-04-2002 08:34 AM

Before you replace your wires you may want to decide if you are going to want to do the "TFI" ignition upgrade. If so you can pick up the cap, rotor and adapter you need and buy the appropriate wires. You can always purchase the TFI coil later, or just buy a perfromace coil for the duraspark like the "blaster 2F' and it will mount in the existing coil bracket and use the horseshoe connecter.

Bob K 02-05-2002 05:24 PM

My 4.2 loves Bosch Platinums. The +4's are probably a waste of money. The Juice Box ignition system is the best $130 I ever spent on my Jeep. Definitely a "Best Buy", two thumbs up.

mniemela 08-06-2008 10:24 PM

I could be wrong, but I've been told that platinum plugs are not supposed to be installed in chrysler vehicles. When my dad put the platinums in his cherokee, it was a huge mistake and he went back to the regular copper; and it runs well now. It also depends on what works with your jeep. Experiment!!!

Matt Gertsch 08-06-2008 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mniemela (Post 5544736)
I could be wrong, but I've been told that platinum plugs are not supposed to be installed in chrysler vehicles. When my dad put the platinums in his cherokee, it was a huge mistake and he went back to the regular copper; and it runs well now. It also depends on what works with your jeep. Experiment!!!

Never heard that before. I run them in 2 XJs without problems. I'm forced to run fine wire style plugs in my 93 due to a full MSD ignition. The high voltage CD ignition erodes the electrodes on other types of plugs too quickly.

Unlimited04 08-07-2008 06:36 AM

www.pulstar.com

i'll be going with them when it comes time to change. I work with an Electrical Engineer who swears by them.

ajmorell 08-07-2008 06:58 AM

You guys gotta be kidding me, do you know anything about spark plugs?

They best plugs to run in your YJ are the OE spec'd ones - probably Champions. Bosch plugs are a joke, I haven't talked to anyone that likes them in a variety of different vehicles. Also, don't waste your money on plugs like the Bosch +4s, +2s, or AC Delco Splitfires. The spark will NEVER arc across all 4 of the electrodes - it will always follow the path of least resistance and I guarantee that Bosch's manufacturing tolerances aren't tight enough to guarantee the gap on the electrodes is so close enough between all 4 that the spark arc's across all 4 electrodes.

I haven't heard much about the Pulstar plugs but I am a bit skeptical of those as well.

Whybu1 08-07-2008 08:18 AM

Many TJs do not like the platinum plugs that have the platinum on one side of the electrode only. Either has to be on both sides or none at all. Champion truck plugs have worked well for me so far.

spyder6 08-07-2008 08:21 AM

i use champion truck plugs. i like them much better than the NGk pieces of crap that it came with

Happy Joe 08-07-2008 08:22 AM

Just go with Champion plugs, you can substitute a junkyard Ford coil for the existing coil the addition of an MSD 6a might be worth while if you go off road. I don't know about the availability of a larger high voltage cap but if you change the cap/rotor get the larger ones if you can and if they will fit and always get a cap with brass terminals inside (you might have to spend a bit more at NAPA); aluminum terminals in ignition caps will give problems eventually.

Enjoy!

roundlitefan 08-08-2008 07:09 AM

Bosch plugs are great if you like spending 3x more on an item that doesn't work as well as a plain old Champion.

But hey....its PLATINUM and has all those stupid shaped electrodes, so it must be better!

XxWickedxX 05-05-2009 12:31 AM

I ended up on a website for E3 Sparkplugs. Im not going to drop the link to the site cause I am new and do not know the rules just yet but just add a dot com to the name. I scrolled down to the bottom to learn more about the plugs and it seem to be possibly a new plug to consider. I would be curious to hear some people that know a bit more about plugs tell me what they think. They crap or are they in the right direction?

The time now is 03:20 PM.