WHite smoke - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > WHite smoke

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 02-20-2003, 02:55 PM   #1
Joe jeep

WHite smoke

On cold starts white smoke is being blown out the muffler
i was in a hurry to get to school so i did;nt have enough time to check how long it would last so when i got to my destination and parked, i looked to see if it was still commin out. Luckily it wasn't, so i forgot about it. but what does white smoke mean?
ive heard of black smoke being bad gaskets around those things but not white
thax for any suggestions in advance

RANCHO RS 5000's.
OPTIMA RedTop.
31"BFG'S A/T.
HEI DISTRIBUTOR W/EXTERNAL COIL, BOSCH+2'S
M.O.R.E Boomerang greasable shackeles all the way around.
Hood lock
Joe jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2003, 03:52 PM   #2
johny1i

If it disappears within 10 feet or so, it's just steam. If it's bluish-white and doesn't dissipate, then it's oil that's probably getting around your valve guides or possibly the piston rings. Probably a good idea to pull one of your spark plugs and see if it's covered in oil. If it's not bad enough to foul out your plugs or suck up a quart of oil each week or two, then you're okay for the time being. You've seen those cars on the road that are puffing that smoke continuously--that's how yours would be eventually but it can take 50,000 miles to get that bad compared to how it is right now (just doing it on startup after sitting overnight).
Currently an '86 CJ-7 and a '77 CJ-7 Golden Eagle---#4 and 5 following a '01 Sahara, '90 Sahara, and '85 CJ-7....
johny1i is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2003, 07:18 PM   #3
Joe jeep

OIL

Actually my oil level is really steady since the change.
tuesday night i pulled the spark plugs out and set the gaps. i did notice some oil around the where it gets screwed in. not to much tho. i just got an old tooth brush and wiped them to death, so their fairly clean now.
if this gets worse in the future, do u think an average home mechanic person like my self, with a haynes manuel by his side will be able to change the valve guides or the piston rings by himself or with a friend, possibly?
RANCHO RS 5000's.
OPTIMA RedTop.
31"BFG'S A/T.
Hood lock
Unread 02-20-2003, 08:06 PM   #4
johny1i

Don't sweat oil on the threads, it's when the ceramic insulator or electrode is black with oil that you have to worry because it will essentially short-out the plug.

Somebody on here may have experience replacing valve guildes themselves, but my dad and I always left that up to the machine shop when redoing old engines, etc. By the same token, if you're going to go to all the trouble of pulling the pistons, I'd probably just hold off until you need to rebuild the engine and/or head.

I'll let someone else add to this--
Currently an '86 CJ-7 and a '77 CJ-7 Golden Eagle---#4 and 5 following a '01 Sahara, '90 Sahara, and '85 CJ-7....
johny1i is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2003, 03:35 PM   #5
Birdawg

I am not too sure on your engine but, I have worked on a lot of diesels..... same may apply..... Dark smoke from a diesel's exhaust means unburt fuel being expelled, caused by not enough air getting into the cylinders to burn the fuel or too much fuel getting into the cylinders for the amount of air supplied. Either way it is too much fuel or not enough air. White smoke from a diesel normaly just the oposite,... not enough fuel and/or too much air. I realize this is for a diesel but if you are not burning oil it could be the air/fuel mix is off..... ?? Just a thought.
Tops. 31" x 10 1/2" x 15" Coopers
Sumer Projects:2 1/2" Rubicon Express.(Done) New Metalic Paint.(Done)
31" Tires (Done), Bed Liner. Dome Light for Soft Top
[color=blue]Blue Jeep Member #15[/color]
Birdawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2003, 08:26 PM   #6
4wheeler4CJ

It's probably steam....but if it is excessive, it will likely be coolant getting in your cylinders from a head gasket or intake leak. Sometimes you can have one of these leaks when it is cold, and it is minor enough to stop when the engine is hot and the metals all expans and tighten up the leak.

Just keep an eye on it for now. If you notice it change or last a long time, have it checked.
4wheeler4CJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2003, 12:13 PM   #7
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

The rule of thumb is -

white smoke = radiator fluid
blue smoke = oil

Have you checked your rad-fluid lately? Your head-gasket might just be leaking enough that on start-up its burning antifreeze as well as gas.
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2003, 12:15 PM   #8
Joe jeep

NaeKid, when u say head gasket, do u mean, headers/intake, OR engine head.
RANCHO RS 5000's.
OPTIMA RedTop.
31"BFG'S A/T.
Hood lock
Unread 02-25-2003, 05:35 PM   #9
Fallout

He means the head gasket. not uncommon up hear, negitve bloody cold + not plugging in the block heater can = cracked water jacket or head gasket or frozen lower rad hose is a good one that means that you WILL over heat even at -20 or 30 which will give you a cracked head or head gasket.
Don't ask, I do know this is fact as stupid as it sounds.

Wife's DD
90XJ Ltd Up Country, Bored and stroked 4.7L I6 Auto,
2.5" lift 31x10.5"Hankook AT's.
Fallout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.