Whining noise coming from engine - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Whining noise coming from engine

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-16-2013, 01:13 PM   #1
TJJeepJosh
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Whining noise coming from engine

I have an 01 tj and recently a whining noise started to come from somewhere under the hood.
I looked on here to see if anyone else had the same problem but all the threads were about whining noises when turning or coming from a wheel.
My noise is not from one of those, I can here it when the car is on but parked.

When I first start up from cold, going to school in the morning, there is no noise. But by the time I get there you can here it. It sounds like its coming from the back left part of the engine(if you were sitting in the car listening). Pretty much right behind the steering wheel but in the engine compartment.

Any idea what this could be?

Unread 05-16-2013, 01:16 PM   #2
CalebForbesWJ
2002 WJ 

have you checked your power steering pump?
im having similar issues in my 4.7 WJ and it turned out (after replacing belts, alternator, and some pulleys) that the power steering pump is on its way out.
CalebForbesWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 01:51 PM   #3
TJJeepJosh
2005 LJ Wrangler 

How would you go about checking if thats the problem?
Unread 05-16-2013, 02:19 PM   #4
veiri86

2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJeepJosh View Post
How would you go about checking if thats the problem?
Sorry, I'm not much of a mechanic guy
Try to revolve your engine and keep it at a constant RPM and turn your steering sharp left and sharp right, if the whining tone changes while u r turning the steering, that is a good indicator shows that your whining noise is Coming from the PS pump, but check the fluid first, may be the level is low or the type of fluid is incorrect or your hose is leaking.

By the way, the procedures above should be done while your car is stopped on Neutral

01' 4.7 Limited WJ 5" lifted, Rubicon Express 4.5" coil springs with IRO critical path setup and Bilstien 5100 shocks all around, JKS adjustable Trackbar (KOR bushings), JKS HD tie rod (MOOG problem solver Ends), JKS HD drag link (Moog Probel solver Ends), 4.56 Yukon ring and pinion, Moog HD SSD107 Steering Stabilizer, IRO Front drive shaft conversion, Stillen slotted rotors all around with Stillen brake pads, IRO adjustable A-Arm, 3" all the way Kolak Exhaust with High flow Magnaflow Cat. Converter and Flowmaster Super 50 Muffler, 285/70R17 AT Kumho (33") on 17" BlackWheel rims 909B, K&N Cold air intake, Four nozzles Bosch injectors, and Flashpaq 3780.

03' 4.7 H.O WJ 3" lifted, OME HD with 0.5" Coil spacers and Bilstien 5100 shocks all around, JKS adjustable Trackbar (KOR bushings), Moog Problem solver TRE's, IRO Front drive shaft conversion, IRO adjustable A-Arm, High flow magnaflow mini cats, high flow magnaflow cat, Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, 265/65R17 AT Yokohama on 17" Rays rims, and Flashpaq 3780
veiri86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 02:24 PM   #5
eduardostewart
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i had the pulleys go and were whining and grinding. get a great big screwdriver and put the handle in your ear and the tip on different places. use it as a stethescope. seriously. youll be able to tell on something going as long as you can touch it
eduardostewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 06:31 PM   #6
TJJeepJosh
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Turns out it was an evap hose. The previous owner, instead of getting the proper hose, took a rubber tube and used it as a hose. The side wall wasn't strong enough and it ended up collapsing in on itself while operating, causing the whining noise.

The power steering pump does make what seems to me to be an odd sound when turning. Although this is my first jeep so that might just be how they sound.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.