When to turn overdrive off? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > When to turn overdrive off?

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJClayton Off Road JK Long Arm Upgrade Kits!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-26-2012, 04:06 PM   #1
coltlacrosse
2004 WJ 

When to turn overdrive off?

I'm wondering about when to turn overdrive off, I have a few questions:

1. I read the general rule of thumb is to keep it on when cruising above 50mph (highway driving) and to turn it off when stopping and going under 50mph, or when towing. Is this a good rule? The site I read it on was not jeep specific.

2. Is my understanding correct, that "overdrive" refers to the 5th gear and by turning overdrive off you will only be able to shift between gears 1-4?

3. This is a little off topic, but how would a superchips flashpaq work with overdrive? Any problems?

I've always kept it on, except last week I turned it off on the highway and drive aggressively, it was a lot of fun but my average RPM's increased by about 1500 so I'm assuming it was bad for the engine (and unsafe).

Thanks! And sorry for so many questions, any help would be appreciated. I want to take her to at least 300K!

coltlacrosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 04:18 PM   #2
Treton
2005 LJ Wrangler 

overdrive is when the engine is actually revolving slower than the drive coming out of the transmission. Very little power but on relatively flat and faster(60+) highways its the most economical.
Treton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 04:37 PM   #3
hamilton5
2001 WJ 

ughh the WJs 545 has 5 gears 2 of them overdrive... so by shutting it off your losing those top 2 gears and it will only shift to 3rd gear. Around town driving is fine with O/D off... But when your typically going above 45-50 MPH you'll want the O/D, especially if your MPG conscience.

You have no idea what a transmission does, or how it works, your best bet is to not mess with it... put it in D and drive it..
hamilton5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2012, 05:33 PM   #4
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

As a general rule with auto's, leave the trans in "D" and drive. Usually locking out of OD is done when the transmission begins to "hunt" for a gear. A good description would be while towing uphill. The trans downshifts, then catches up speed and up shifts. The engine lags, loosing speed and the trans down shifts again. This cycle is very hard on the trans, thus the option of manually keeping the trans in a lower gear.
Downshifting for passing can be done automatically by the transmission when you plant your foot on the floor. You can do it manually, but unless your trying to spool the engine up prior to the pass, it really isn't necessary.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gears , overdrive , superchips

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.