When are airbags useless? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > When are airbags useless?

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 06-25-2013, 10:45 AM   #1
Habber

When are airbags useless?

Hi Guys,

I recently picked up a 2001 TJ. Is the airbag uses or dangerous at this point? I'm wondering if I should just put an aftermarket wheel on with no airbag.

Jeep TJ 2001 4.0 5MT

Habber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 12:04 PM   #2
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Keep the air bags, no reason to get rid of them.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 01:22 PM   #3
Habber

Don't they become useless or even dangerous after 10 years?

Jeep TJ 2001 4.0 5MT
Habber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 07:19 PM   #4
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I've never heard such a thing.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 09:37 PM   #5
texasblackdirt
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Airbags are useless when enterprise loans you a dodge caravan during an insurance claim.
Got drunk as he!! because my buddy Justin is a bad@ss at quarters then Dukes of Hazzard jumped that sucker over a sweet @ss set or rr tracks where I reside at 70mph.
I was unnecessarily punched in the face and shins and so was he. Makes me think a pothole could set them off. The van was undamaged other than the airbag deployment which totals out anything nowadays.
Thank you $12 insurance. Rotflmfao
texasblackdirt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 03:38 AM   #6
LifeProof
SEMPER FIDELIS

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Umm, idk what that post what about ^^^ but yeah you should keep them if you plan on keeping it street legal. I'm pulling my hole dash off in 2014 and just doing sheet metal but keeping the passenger airbag and stock steering wheel in place.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum

SEMPER FI
LifeProof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 04:14 AM   #7
texasblackdirt
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The thread title is when are airbags useless and I provided a perfectly good example from my troubled youth.

If you're worried about legality just keep your factory steering wheel to throw back on there when it's time for an inspection. Or make friends with an inspector.

If you are a big guy, the high seat base and lack of adjustment may bother you as gut space is limited. Steering wheel would be the easiest fix for that. 1-800-98-Jenny also may work. Lmao

Why do you ask? I find it perfectly acceptable either way. I have t boned someone who pulled out in front of me with no deployment at 40mph, and I've been hit in the face and legs by airbags when it was completely unnecessary. I also own two classic 4x4 pickups that never had them, and I feel plenty safe behind the wheel of both of them.

In rural Texas, it's not very difficult to pass inspections.
Unread 06-28-2013, 04:21 AM   #8
texasblackdirt
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Ok just read the useless/dangerous 10 years post. I never heard such a thing either but experienced the uselessness of a dud airbag in a 2003 2500hd 4x4 when I plowed into a woman leaving taco shop that clearly didn't see me until I was maybe 3 yards from her drivers door. And boy did she look funny when she realized what was about to take place. Like a deer in the headlights. The air bag was 9 years old when this happened last summer. The Hd took it well. It took me out to eat after the police report was made and everywhere else I needed to be until I could drop it off at the shop the following Monday.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.