Wheel bearing issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Wheel bearing issues

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 04-06-2012, 07:03 PM   #1
Gh0st
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Wheel bearing issues

So about 6 months ago the left rear wheel bearing in my 2001 TJ bit the dirt. I let a local mechanic replace it mainly because i didn't have a bearing press. About 2 weeks ago a familiar grinding noise started coming from the same tire and in my opinion the bearing is shot again. Has anyone else had this problem and if so what would cause it?

Unread 04-08-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
wgirvine
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I'm not familiar with a TJ but in general there are lots of reasons for this... could be he installed the wrong bearing (not likely). Or he installed the bearing by hammering on the outer race, instead of pressing on the inner race (lots of idiots do this.) Did he refill the differential? Did he check to see if the axle is straight? Good luck...
Unread 04-08-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
Gh0st
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The axle was replaced when the bearing was. And he did fill the housing back up with fluid. Apparently I got lucky and it was just brake shoes sticking. After a little brake cleaner everything started to work like it should.
Unread 04-09-2012, 07:40 AM   #4
wgirvine
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.