Is this whats causing my problems? (Motor mount) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Is this whats causing my problems? (Motor mount)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 06-09-2013, 09:58 AM   #1
sjacks12
1981 CJ7 

Is this whats causing my problems? (Motor mount)

Long story, sorry: Recently got an 81 CJ7 from my father-in-law, who hadnt done much with it since he got it 3 years ago from his father-in-law. It has sat outside uncovered for quite a while, so there's plenty of rust, etc...its a project, but it was driving until this past weekend.

I drove it a few blocks to lunch and noticed some shifting issues...hard clutch press, not going into gears I needed, could smell rubber "clutch burn smell", high rpms with no acceleration. I thought the clutch was worn or needed adjustment.

I adjusted the clutch a few turns (the wrong way first and then the right way) which caused MAJOR shudder when letting clutch out in all gears. Played with adjustment quite a bit and never got rid of the shudder. Went to adjust a little more and when turning the 7/16 adjustment nut I guess I torqued it wrong and broke that threaded adjustment rod of the clutch linkage. Was able to attach broken end to the big 3/4" barrel adjuster and it will run but still with the major shudder.

Anyway looked at this forum and found that shudder=mount problems. So Looking at the drivers side mount, only two of the three bolts are there but the rubber looks OK.

[IMG][/IMG]

It was running for 3+ weeks before this with the engine mount like this (I assume) since only drove on neighborhood streets. Do you guys think my problem was the motor mount all along, or did I complicate things trying to adjust the clutch/breaking that? Or did I have a combination of problems?

New to jeeps and working on cars, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

sjacks12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2013, 05:59 PM   #2
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

jack up that side on the oil pan skid and see if the mount is ok then.
BlueRubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 07:42 AM   #3
sjacks12
1981 CJ7 

The mounts looked ok, I replaced them anyway.

I found out why there is a missing bolt on the engine bracket. Bolt was sheared off by PO and is rusted in there pretty good. Tried PB-blaster and an easy out, but couldn't get it out. Not really sure what to do about that at this point. probably just order those mount brackets with 6 bolts when I can since I don't expect to put this jeep under any hard stress any time soon.

Still have to fix the shudder. Am going to try replacing the clutch, clutch linkage, get flywheel resurfaced, and make sure there is no oil leaking on the flywheel. Hopefully, that will fix my problem.
sjacks12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.