What years / models of 4.10 axles will fit a YJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > What years / models of 4.10 axles will fit a YJ?

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiBushed Sleeves & Poly Bushings!

Unread 11-10-2013, 05:57 PM   #1
Mambo_Dave
1991 YJ Wrangler 

What years / models of 4.10 axles will fit a YJ?

I'm just asking to know what to look for if I go scouring wrecking yards for something like 4-cylinder Wrangler axles that are already 4.10 gears.

This is the second or third 4x4 I've ever owned that came from the factory with way messed-up axle gearing (pretty sure this is 3.07), and I'm am bleeping tired of it.

Before I go doing anything I want to gear this Jeep correctly so I'm not prematurely wearing out the clutch when just trying to use first gear (31" tires).

So I'm asking you guys for the most direct bolt-in axles. Whatever I find will most likely have lower miles than my Jeep's axles have on them already, so that's a plus.

And thank you!

Mambo_Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2013, 06:23 PM   #2
bigfootdave
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Nothing is for certain, so you should always pull the cover and verify the axle ratio. That said, as far as finding 4.10 ratio axles, most if not all 2.5 four cyl motor equipped Wranglers came with that ratio. I'm pretty sure all, but one never knows!
bigfootdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2013, 06:40 PM   #3
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

ALL 4 cylinder YJs with manual shift came with 4.10 gears.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2013, 08:31 PM   #4
apaTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

You can also check your gear ratio by lifting the front or rear and spinning the driveshaft. The number of driveshaft rotations to tire rotations is your gear ratio. It's not very exact but you should be able to tell if it's 3.07 or 4.10. Although unless someone changed it all 4 cyl models should have 4.10s
apaTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 06:36 AM   #5
Mambo_Dave
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys, but... Yeah, I've got that part down - manual 4 cylinders have 4.10's.

My question is more about axle fit - for example, mine is a 1991 with leaf springs front and rear. Would axles from a 4 cylinder 2005 easily fit?

That's more along the lines I'm thinking (instead of identifying 4.10's). I figured Jeep guys would know.
Unread 11-11-2013, 11:27 AM   #6
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

There is no bolt-in swap available. Only YJ to YJ, '87-'95

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 04:46 PM   #7
Mambo_Dave
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Max.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.