What? Why do I need a locker? I thought I had 4WD! - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > What? Why do I need a locker? I thought I had 4WD!

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 12-04-2011, 09:48 AM   #61
oneponycar
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

I dumped the QT installed a twin stick NP 205 with indent removed so i now have a true 4 wheel drive. I welded the front spiders installed a locker rear end. On bad weather days I lock the front axle, Place the front axle in neural and rear in what ever the condition's call for. When 4 wheel drive is needed i just shift the front end in and away i go.

oneponycar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2011, 08:33 PM   #62
Jrdchiropractic
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigphish
any tips for manual tranny's.

I tried doing this with my jeep when i was in some dirt with some spinning wheels but it was too easy to stall trying to negotiate all three peddles.
You will have to learn something called "heel-toe". An old- fashioned method of driving where you apply pressure to both the gas and brake at the same time (but with different pressure by rocking your foot left and right) with your right foot, freeing up your left foot for the clutch. Older cars from the 50's and 60's had a big long gas peddle (for the heel of your foot) and a wide brake (for your toe). In today's vehicles, you pretty much position the ball of your foot on both peddles. This is how you begin moving after stopped uphill, rather than the rev-like- hell method I see some dopey kids use. Hope that helps.
Jrdchiropractic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2014, 05:35 AM   #63
douglasbigland

My father was the one who taught me how to heel toe when I first started driving and it has stuck with me since; however, I was never able to do it same way he does (which I believe is the technique most people follow). The way that he taught me is what I believe to be the traditional way of heel toeing which is to pivot your foot over from the brake so that your foot is somewhat horizontal with the heelside of your foot controlling the throttle. I've always found this uncomfortable and have always used the outer edge of my foot to control the throttle.
douglasbigland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2014, 10:30 PM   #64
Kudu
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Forgive my ignorance, I have been reading and watching videos but when you go to a two piece front axle or have a posi lok and your front shaft always spins why/how is it spinning and not engaging 4WD? What is it in your TC that sends the torque to the front wheels when you pull the TC lever? Is it simply thrusting the spinning shaft forward to engage the axle shafts?
Kudu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2014, 01:59 PM   #65
Nitr0EngiEx
1998 TJ Wrangler 

very very nice explanation and write up thanks
Nitr0EngiEx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2014, 07:45 AM   #66
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Location: Albany~town, Oregon, Oregon my home and for 200 billion slugs
Thanks for posting, re posting and answering questions Jerry
turbogus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
50-50 , 50/50 , differential , limited slip , locker , lockers , open case , open diff , open differnetial , torque delivery , torque split

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.