What? Why do I need a locker? I thought I had 4WD! - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > What? Why do I need a locker? I thought I had 4WD!

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-14-2010, 09:26 AM   #46
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

For those conditions Shaggie, I would go for a selectable rear locker and my recommendation for that will always be an ARB Air Locker. The ARB is about as bulletproof as a locker can be and being selectable, you can leave it off until it's really needed. There are other selectables out there like the Ox and a few others but none, in my personal opinion, are as good overall or have the sterling reputation that the ARB Air Locker has.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine
When you have a choice, buy American.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2010, 04:07 PM   #47
ShaggieSAM
1983 CJ7 

@ Jerry: So your saying that you wouldn't normally lock/engage the lockers when driving on snow covered roads, just when I'm stuck/slipping?

Are ARB Air Lockers the ones that unengage automatically during turns even when engaged?
ShaggieSAM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2010, 04:29 PM   #48
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

ARB Air Lockers (and other selectable lockers like the Ox Locker which is operated by a cable and lever) are under control of you, nothing else. They are not automatic, they are turned on and off (locked and unlocked) by you via an on-off button as you see fit. They remain unlocked/disengaged until you push the on-button that locks them. This is much better on slick roads because they are "open" and unlocked which means they won't slide like an automatic locker does. On icy or slick trails, automatic lockers are also jokingly referred to as "low side finders" as they tend to slide sideways towards the low side.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Unread 11-14-2010, 06:04 PM   #49
ShaggieSAM
1983 CJ7 

Thanks Jerry for clearing that up. I must say, given the cost of an Air locker and the small amount of times that we have any decent accumulation of snow here in Virginia, I can't say that it would be worth me getting a locker.

Good luck finding your Jeep!
ShaggieSAM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2010, 10:46 AM   #50
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggieSAM View Post
Thanks Jerry for clearing that up. I must say, given the cost of an Air locker and the small amount of times that we have any decent accumulation of snow here in Virginia, I can't say that it would be worth me getting a locker.
Don't limit your search for a locker to the ARB which is admittedly the most expensive locker going. There are other great lockers that work well in light snow conditions providing you take it easy. If you can remain in 2wd, a front lunchbox locker like a Lockright, Aussie, or No-Slip works fine. In the rear, a No-Slip would be ok too, so would a Detroit Locker... both would just take a little added care on icy roads.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Unread 12-16-2010, 11:37 PM   #51
montyclaw
2007 JK Wrangler 

locker

It depends on whether or not you are super hardcore jeeper too. I bought a detroit locker and it was to aggressive for all the highway driving I do. I went to a limited slip. If I could have done it all over I would of bought the most bada$$ rubicon and I would have saved a lot of robert Dinero.
montyclaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2010, 08:45 AM   #52
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyclaw View Post
It depends on whether or not you are super hardcore jeeper too. I bought a detroit locker and it was to aggressive for all the highway driving I do.
I drove my last daily driver TJ with a Detroit Locker for well over 125K miles and it was fine. I'm an outside salesman so I was in and out of that Jeep every day making long drives in my sales territory. I drove probably 200 miles a day on average, I barely noticed that I had a Detroit Locker in it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Unread 12-25-2010, 09:48 AM   #53
cloiselle
2001 WJ 

could you expound on the operation of jeeps vari lock / quadra drive systems at all?
cloiselle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2011, 10:00 PM   #54
tehgregzor
2004 WJ 

I have been wondering why everybody was bragging about "locker" upgrades to their jeeps. Cool. Sadly, mine's a highway beast only, so i'm gonna stick with my stock, street friendly diff .

Even if it is a Dana 35 :s
tehgregzor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2011, 07:03 PM   #55
crockett07
1992 XJ Cherokee 

pops is real old school and taught me the braking method when i first started driving. really good to know in tight situations, although the jeep i have now has lockers in the rear and airlockers in the front. can u say 4wheel peel
crockett07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2011, 01:16 PM   #56
AllanWRod36
2008 WK 

Quote:
A factory differential (sometimes called an "open differential") has a characteristic in that when one wheel loses traction, that wheel will start spinning ineffectively. You've seen that happen before, I'm sure. The bigger problem is that one spinning wheel on an axle causes both wheels to seem like they have very little traction... so even though the wheel on the other non-spinning side may have excellent traction, that non-spinning wheel won't receive enough power to keep you moving. Why? Because the differential screws up and only "sends power" to the wheel that is spinning.
My 2008 Grand Cherokee came with DJAS 200MM Front Axle & a DRSS 213MM Rear axle with a DS7S Conventional differential on the front axle and a DS8S Conventional differential on the rear axle - is this the same as the "factory" or "open" differentials mentioned in the opening post of this thread?

[B]2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4 x 4 - 3.7L V-6, Rocky Mountain Edition.[/B]
AllanWRod36 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2011, 02:26 PM   #57
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

If your Grand Cherokee does not have Quadradrive, and it does not sound like you do, then both of your axles are open. The "conventional" term used by the factory on both of your actual descriptions leads me to believe that.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Unread 03-23-2011, 10:33 AM   #58
AllanWRod36
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
If your Grand Cherokee does not have Quadradrive, and it does not sound like you do, then both of your axles are open. The "conventional" term used by the factory on both of your actual descriptions leads me to believe that.
I have Quadra-Trac 1 Full-Time 4WD, Electronic stability control and four wheel traction control.

I don't know if that is the same as "Quadradrive" or not.

I had posted this info in this thread previously several days ago and you had replied that this was beyond your level of knowledge because it was newer technology than you were familiar with. Now it looks like someone deleted the posts.

Actually, looking at this thread again, 2 of my posts - and one of yours Jerry - have been deleted. Weird.

[B]2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4 x 4 - 3.7L V-6, Rocky Mountain Edition.[/B]
AllanWRod36 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2011, 07:03 PM   #59
kodr3d
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Hello everyone I am a newb to this site and jeeps altogether actually. this doesnt mean I havent always wanted one the timing was never right. But now I have one I bought myself a 92 jeep cherokee 2 dr with a 4.0l. its in decent shape but there is an issue with the 4x4.
So the problem starts I guess with the 4 wheel drive shifter it doesn't go up into the 2wd position, even though it is in 2wd.

Second thing the guy told me that he had the transfer case replaced 3 months ago.

Ok so when it is in the 4h position its in 2 wd so I bring it down to 4lo and it does engage into 4wd, anyway the problem is that it jumps all over the place. to me it seems like the front tires are moving faster than the rear tires because the rear tires make squaking noises on every rotation.

so my question i guess would be did the idiot who replaced the tc install something wrong causing it to bind and jump and also not go into the 2wd position.

I would appreciate any help or advice as to what direction I need to head with this thing hope I am not asking to much
Thanks Kody
kodr3d is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2011, 09:34 PM   #60
uglyoldbob
1994 YJ Wrangler 

How would running in full-time 4wd (like with a Np242) affect results with a locker? I would like something that works well for a daily driver during bad weather.
1994 YJ, 4.0L HO, AX15, np231, 31" tires, hardtop, 3.07 gears, trailmaster lift (4.5"?)
uglyoldbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
50-50 , 50/50 , differential , limited slip , locker , lockers , open case , open diff , open differnetial , torque delivery , torque split

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.