What? Why do I need a locker? I thought I had 4WD! - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > What? Why do I need a locker? I thought I had 4WD!

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 07-16-2009, 12:42 PM   #31
asf06
1993 YJ Wrangler 

canthat braking technique be used with an open diff or LSD? or is it just for lockers?

It can't be a scam. There's pictures of Asian people in business suits pointing at charts and graphs.
PIKE Jeepers #1
Jeep Smokeless #4
asf06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2009, 06:16 AM   #32
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

For illustration, here I am on Beasley Knob with my JK --- 33's with open diffs. Watch the stock "brake lock differentials" not work well.
Everybody with a locker scooted right up.

[YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OWfFJZsODlo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OWfFJZsODlo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YT]

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2009, 07:56 AM   #33
elkfan2
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by asf06 View Post
canthat braking technique be used with an open diff or LSD? or is it just for lockers?
The only time I have seen that brake technique work is on a limited slip, there is no need to do that with a locker because they send power to both tires.
elkfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2009, 08:14 AM   #34
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkfan2 View Post
The only time I have seen that brake technique work is on a limited slip, there is no need to do that with a locker because they send power to both tires.
It also doesn't work on a JK with BLD's since the BLD's are trying to do it already with sensors.

Lockers: there is no substitute.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2009, 03:37 AM   #35
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Last edited by Unlimited04; 02-26-2010 at 12:29 PM..
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2010, 07:18 AM   #36
jeepgunner12
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
But if your rear axle is the notoriously weak Dana 35c that comes stock on all Wranglers except the Rubicon and Unlimited,
I have just a few questions,

1: My jeep has a D44 for both front and rear axles..... Was it modified before i got it?
2: Is a manual locker or a LSD better for the street? They both seem like they have the same positives and negatives
3: Which one will break/wear out faster with long long stretches of street driving? I dont want to buy somthing that will burn out in a few years back and forth from school.
GREEN JEEP CLUB #385

PM me if you have an old hilift and/or a 31x10.5 R15 youd like to trade or sell, im in the market for a jack and a trailspare. Cheers!
jeepgunner12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2010, 09:41 AM   #37
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

1 What makes you think the front is a Dana 44? The factory Dana 30 looks somewhat like a Dana 44 so don't confuse the two.

2 For the street, either is fine... a manual locker wouldn't be much use on icy streets though and once locked, it'd be squirrely on those icy streets. For offroad, a LSD is of extremely limited value.

3 Only the factory Tracloc LSD has clutches that eventually wear out.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2010, 10:58 AM   #38
jeepgunner12
1997 TJ Wrangler 

My axle has a threaded plug on the front of it. I just checked the "TJ specifications" sticky and only the D44 has a " 3/8" fill plug, threaded". Am I interperting this wrong? I can post pics of that will help with the ID because im curious now to.

Thanks for the reply, thats a great write up!
GREEN JEEP CLUB #385

PM me if you have an old hilift and/or a 31x10.5 R15 youd like to trade or sell, im in the market for a jack and a trailspare. Cheers!
Unread 01-23-2010, 12:46 PM   #39
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgunner12 View Post
My axle has a threaded plug on the front of it. I just checked the "TJ specifications" sticky and only the D44 has a " 3/8" fill plug, threaded". Am I interperting this wrong? I can post pics of that will help with the ID because im curious now to.

Thanks for the reply, thats a great write up!
Only in the rear does the threaded steel vs. plastic snap-in fill plug mean the difference between a Dana 44 and the standard Dana 35c.

But in the front, the factory Dana 30... which kinda-sorta looks like a Dana 44 to some, also has a threaded steel fill plug.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2010, 02:53 PM   #40
jeepgunner12
1997 TJ Wrangler 

So there is no way to tell them apart in the front? I do i know what i have?
GREEN JEEP CLUB #385

Unread 06-25-2010, 05:53 AM   #41
KDOG2008
2004 WJ 

Excellent info. I knew NOTHING of the brake technique.
KDOG2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2010, 08:34 PM   #42
fishjunkee1313
1989 YJ Wrangler 

where exactly do lockers go
fishjunkee1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2010, 08:39 PM   #43
Apollo21
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
When the tires are spinning... which is when you are giving it gas.
I've done this with my LSDs never understood why it worked though. People think your funny for driving with 2 feet...
Midshipmen Patrick 1/C USMMA DD: 2004 Golf GLS TDI 43mpg and 2002 Overland: Zone 4in, 32in Treadwright MTRs, IRO upper CAs, lift gate light mod, Alpine/Polk speakers, and power inverter with USB in dash mod, CB, custom rear swing out tire carrier Build thread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/apollo21-build-thread-902929/[/url] SOLD
Apollo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2010, 11:05 AM   #44
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I've been kind of wondering this about when the front differential is open, which side has the tendancy to get more power?

I remember on my old truck, it had an open differential in the rear, and when going forward it seemed like the passenger side (I think) always got more power (peg-leg burnouts, haha!) and when going in reverse the, the opposite side would get more power.

Why is this? Is it because the rotation directon of the driveshaft puts more torque onto one side of the vehicle than the other? (kind of like when dragrace cars pull up one wheel higher than the other when they launch, kind of "twist" the car a bit?)

Would an open front differential have a tendancy to put more power on one side than the other like this as well? If so, which side would it be? Just a curiosity, really.
Unread 11-13-2010, 09:40 PM   #45
ShaggieSAM
1983 CJ7 

I think I have a pretty good understanding of how lockers work but am unsure of what type of locker, or if at all, I would need for my desires. Please help.

I have an `83 CJ-7 w/ D20, crap I know.

I am most likely going to buy a `70 CJ5 with a D44 rear.

I do not plan to do any hardcore wheeling but wouldn't mind the capability to do moderate off road, just not rock crawling. What I plan to continue to do is use the above Jeeps to help ensure that my commute to the Hospital (my work) is not hindered by ice and snow. This past winter season my CJ7 decided to steer/grabbed me from shallow snow to thick snow and I was essentially pulled into a steep ditch with my right side in the ditch and the left side on the bank. Needless to say, I slipped all over the place. I wish I had discovered this tutorial as well as the breaking technique to help get me out. It took me about 20mins of rocking back and forth only to get grip from a driveway irrigation pipe.

Obviously a front diff Locker is not the way to go for me which leaves the rear. So, in regards to snow/ice, which style/type of locker should I use? Are there different lockers for different applications from off road to snow/ice or are they all the same? Do I even need a locker for snow/ice? Do I just need it for when I'm stuck or would I actually benefit from regular continuous use when there is plenty of snow on the ground?

I must get to work, being absent due to snow is not acceptable when you work at a Hospital and for when you are On-Call!

Thanks for any clarification!
ShaggieSAM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
50-50 , 50/50 , differential , limited slip , locker , lockers , open case , open diff , open differnetial , torque delivery , torque split

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.