What Truely Makes The Sound Of The 4.0 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > What Truely Makes The Sound Of The 4.0

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Shocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 03-21-2007, 09:36 PM   #1
GRDCHRKE555
1999 XJ Cherokee 

What Truely Makes The Sound Of The 4.0

ive always wondered. ive heard a few things of what makes the 4.0 sound as it does after many miles. what really is it that makes the baby diesel sound? ... always wondered and never thought to ask.. hmm

4.5" (~6'') RC lift w/ full leafs, RE 1.25" Shackles, Bilstein 5125's, IRO Custom HI-Clearance LA's,JKS quicker discos, C4x4 Front Hooks, TW's SYE/CV DS, FLO-PRO cat-back, and some 32'' x 11.50" Maxxis Bighorns
GRDCHRKE555 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2007, 10:30 PM   #2
BoHeck

cracked exhaust manifold...
BoHeck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2007, 10:37 PM   #3
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoHeck
cracked exhaust manifold...

i need to fix mine

its torquey at low RPM, diesels are torquey at all RPM...thats my opinion, then again i don't think it sounds like a baby diesel

btw
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2007, 10:45 PM   #4
1BadJeepX06
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Valve tapping... I6's have done it since day numero uno...

DH
Unread 03-21-2007, 11:16 PM   #5
SecondTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

it may have something to do with it being an inline design, and not being tuned for quietness

'99 Z28 M6, some goodies
'94 'Vette, A4 all stock
SecondTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2007, 06:33 AM   #6
Mr. Tarmac

The clatter you hear is likely detonation. The 4.0 doesn't have knock sensors, and after enough miles and carbon build up on the valves and pistons, every 4.0 I've heard begins to knock.
Mr. Tarmac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2007, 06:52 AM   #7
PackMan

Location: Home of the Super Bowl XLI Champion Indianapolis Colts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepX06
Valve tapping... I6's have done it since day numero uno...

DH
Exactly. Inherent issue with straight sixes. This is why the CTD is such an obnoxious diesel - it has the glory of being not only an extraordinarily powerful diesel, but also an I6.

My first car, back in high school, had the old Dodge slant 6. It made an awful racket, but ran beautifully and reliably. We actually nicknamed it the "buzzbuggy".

Oh wait, that had nothing to do with the engine, that's just what we told our parents.
PackMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2007, 07:13 AM   #8
paroxysym
2007 WK 

mostly the injectors, mixed with the leaky manifolds, the valve tapping, rattle of the throwout bearing, fan cl utch cycling on and off..
Unread 03-22-2007, 08:26 PM   #9
TXjeepTJ

lol watever you do, dont disconnect the exhaust fromt the manifold and drive around... unless you wanna sound like your driving a farming tractor around(worst sounding engine i've ever heard in my life including ricers!)
TXjeepTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.