post #1 of Old 03-19-2013, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
sporadic_kit

What Steering Fluid? Are Chrysler talking crap?

Hi All,

I have done some research on this and found that I should only use MS5931 fluid and not ATF+4.

So I call up my local Chrysler and they tell me that I can and should use ATF4 becuase the MS5931 is no longer available.

Either they are talking crap or the text below is wrong. Personally I think they are talking crap. Can someone please confirm?

The factory fill power steering fluid for all 1999-2004 Grand Cherokees is a unique fluid, MS5931. ATF+4 (MS9602) should not be mixed or used as a “topping off” fluid on the Grand Cherokee WJ. All WJ models should be serviced using ONLY the special MS5931 fluid. ATF+4 is NOT an approved Power Steering Fluid and should never be used under any circumstances. Note that all fluids will darken in color with usage and fluid color is no longer an indication of fluid condition.

post #2 of Old 03-19-2013, 07:25 AM
S8NNG8
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

I'd take that information to every auto store and mechanic I know of and get some outside perspective. Chrysler really would prefer you screw up your GC.
Careful about believing everything you're told. Some mechanics will attempt to gain your trust by solving your question, but will then lead you into their own trap.

D3<!L!>3D
post #3 of Old 03-19-2013, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
sporadic_kit

So am I OK to use ATF+4 as steering fluid or not?
post #4 of Old 03-19-2013, 10:02 AM
S8NNG8
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporadic_kit View Post
Hi All,

I have done some research on this and found that I should only use MS5931 fluid and not ATF+4.

So I call up my local Chrysler and they tell me that I can and should use ATF4 becuase the MS5931 is no longer available.

Either they are talking crap or the text below is wrong. Personally I think they are talking crap. Can someone please confirm?

The factory fill power steering fluid for all 1999-2004 Grand Cherokees is a unique fluid, MS5931. ATF+4 (MS9602) should not be mixed or used as a “topping off” fluid on the Grand Cherokee WJ. All WJ models should be serviced using ONLY the special MS5931 fluid. ATF+4 is NOT an approved Power Steering Fluid and should never be used under any circumstances. Note that all fluids will darken in color with usage and fluid color is no longer an indication of fluid condition.
With the way this is stated, I wouldn't. Hit the yellow pages and call a few places. If they all say to use ATF-4, then I'd do it. The problem with some of the advice you'll get on the forum is you don't know if you're believing a mechanic, or a 16 year old.

D3<!L!>3D