What to Seal Carb Gaskets With? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > What to Seal Carb Gaskets With?

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 01-18-2005, 01:04 PM   #1
Tshark299
1987 YJ Wrangler 

What to Seal Carb Gaskets With?

I'm trying to find out why my 4.2L runs like poop after cruising on the highway (misfires at low RPMs) and alot of people are saying ignition module, but before I spend money on that I want to make sure my intake isn't leaking under the carb. It's pretty wet around there so I'm suspecting this may have something to do with it.

So what can I put on these gaskets to make they make a good seal to the manifold, carb, and adapters in between? I've got one vote for some copper spray stuff... any other opinions? I'm assuming RTV will be too thick, no?

'95 XJ - Donated drive train to the YJ, Parted out the rest

'51 CJ-3A - Buick 225 V6: Painless Wiring Harness, Warn Overdrive & Hubs, 2" Lift, 31" Muds
Tshark299 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2005, 05:29 AM   #2
75SV1

I use to use a gasket sealant that came in a spray can. It was red in color, the sealant. I realy liked it, but could be messy. I'd spray it on both sides and let it soak in. If I had to disassemble the parts later, the gakset would just peel off. Sorry cant remember what brand. I think it was in a blue can maybe like permatex.
Tom
75SV1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2005, 05:08 AM   #3
75SV1

I went to NAPA yesterday. They had some gasket stuff called Holomar or like that. I bought the tube of it. I used it years ago for some intake manifold gaskets on a 351W. The stuff isn't suppose to dry. I removed thats gaskets at a later date. They just peeled off.
Tom
75SV1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.