JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Engines & Drivetrain (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/)
-   -   What is recommended battery terminal sealer, goop? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/what-recommended-battery-terminal-sealer-goop-1636329/)

Charley3 09-29-2013 10:42 PM

What is recommended battery terminal sealer, goop?

I bought new battery cables. What is best product to use on the contacts to increase conductivity and prevent corrosion?

My cousin has some stuff he paints on that is thin red/pink stuff. Is that stuff good?

What do you recommend?

5-90 09-30-2013 05:25 AM

I've posted the stuff I use here before - search it up. Works better than anything commercial I've seen, and it's cheap & easy to make.

vadslram 09-30-2013 05:57 AM

Dielectrc grease, any grease, Petroleum jelly...
Or what I use is a copper containing anti corrosion compoud like an antisieze stuff.

Anything that keeps moisture, acid mist and air off the terminals

cruiser54 09-30-2013 07:47 AM

OxGard or Noalox.

Charley3 09-30-2013 11:12 AM

Is the stuff supposed to go on the contacts before installing cables so that it's sandwiched between contact and cable to increase conductivity and prevent corrosion, or is it supposed to go on after installing cables so it coats exterior surfaces to prevent corrosion, or both?

biffgnar 09-30-2013 11:41 AM

22 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Charley3 (Post 16436833)
Is the stuff supposed to go on the contacts before installing cables so that it's sandwiched between contact and cable to increase conductivity and prevent corrosion, or is it supposed to go on after installing cables so it coats exterior surfaces to prevent corrosion, or both?

You are massively over thinking this. Most people in the world just connect the battery cables and call it good. If you want to be thorough you polish up the terminals before you do it to make sure you get good connnection. Yes, dialectric grease or noalox (although that stuff is messy) can help, but there is no magic way to put it on thats going to make things work materially better.

vadslram 09-30-2013 01:43 PM

good clean metal to metal connections then slather it with your preservative of choice.
Really it isn't neccesary but it does keep the connections better and can eliminate gremlins in years following.

Charley3 09-30-2013 04:55 PM

I'm glad I asked. I thought stuff went on before bolting connections together.

Thanks for the advice

Charley3 10-13-2013 11:03 PM

Here is what I've figured out from this thread and other sources.

I verified I was already doing it correctly.

My Buick has Vasoline on electrical contacts. My Jeep XJ has CRT brand pink terminal protector spray on electrical contacts. In both cases applied to contacts before bolting together and again after bolting together.
CRT terminal protector spray is same type stuff as Permatex terminal protector spray. Same stuff, different brand.
Both of those ^ are acceptable methods. The potential downside of vasoline is dust/dirt will stick to it. Over time it can get dirty. The spray protector is better IMO because dirt won't stick to it.

I'm sure all the other methods/substances people recommended are also fine, except dielectric grease.

Dielectric grease is an insulator, NOT a conductor. My common sense tells me NOT to put dielectric on battery terminal contacts. Am I misunderstanding something?

Holder350 10-13-2013 11:56 PM

Dielectric grease is just a silicon based waterproof grease.

Its just fine for almost all electrical connections, particularly high voltage connections.

It keeps moisture out and thus prevents galvanic corrosion of the metals.

In almost all applications (especially battery terminal ends) the mechanical contact pressure is more than enough to overcome the grease. However I usually refrain for applying it to the actual pins of weather proof connectors because of the low voltage they normally see and the fact that if contact pressure is low it may interfere with the signal voltage feeding or returning to the PCM, plus a dab on the seal is more than enough to keep moisture out.

I use dielectric grease on battery terminals and on the ends of the cable going into the terminal (unless its a solder on terminal).

Sent from my phone where correct grammar is difficult.

The time now is 10:53 AM.