What oil to use...? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > What oil to use...?

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 01-06-2005, 11:19 AM   #16
rockon1202

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this or even has a clue what I'm talking about. I was down at the auto shop with my buddy who was picking up a few bottles of oil for his Explorer, and he wasn't sure what he needed...didn't know if he needed synthetic or the real stuff. The guy working there started explaining that if you'd used real oil, then went to synthetic, then tried to switch back again, that you'd have problems with leaks, and the same would happen if you went from synthetic to regular and back to synthetic. Anyone know if that's true or not?

rockon1202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2005, 12:04 PM   #17
75SV1

With the original synthetics (70's to mid 80's) this was a problem. You also couldn't mix the two. I have switched a few time with no problems. Now if your motor leaks oil now, it will leak a lot more with synthetics. Also, switching back won't help stop the leaking. On higher milage engines, you do run the risk of synthetic oils cleaning out the grime in an engine and creating leaks in the seals. On an engine in good condition, this shouldn't be a problem.
Tom
75SV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2005, 12:55 PM   #18
pushead

Mobil 1. Been running it in my car since jan of 92 and 2000 miles. I now have 220,000 as of yesterday. Engine is still running great and I am not nice to my vehicles. I drive the hell out of them. I do service them in exchange for the beating. I change my oil every 3-4 thousand miles. It is usaly still very clean I can see getting 6 or 7 out of it, but I will take no chances. I demand performance in return it gets premium care.
Unread 01-07-2005, 10:19 AM   #19
JEEPINWI

My boss has been flying his own airplane for 20 years and has tried just about every oil available. He pays $20 to have oil analysis done everytime he changes the oil. Oil analysis counts the number of metal particles/volume of oil. There has been less than .1% difference among all the oil test results. If cheap oil is trusted and works in an airplane, it is definitely OK in a Jeep.

Point of this story...BUY THE CHEAPEST OIL YOU CAN FIND. I do not know about the difference in protection between synthetic and dino oil, but if using dino oil, don't waste money on expensive brands. Using cheapo oil and going 5k between changes will do NO harm to an engine.
Unread 01-08-2005, 11:24 AM   #20
Xtreme04

Thanks for all the info... I just changed the oil and used Mobile1. I think I will stick with this even though its costly. I have heard nothing bad about Mobile1 and all the garages I talked to said its a good oil. I'll still change the oil at every 3k just to be safe. I have also heard a lot of newer cars are coming factory with Mobile1. I guess everyone has their own opinion on oil so what works best for each each person is different, but I def have nothing but good to say about Castrol GTX, we'll see how the Mobile works out.
Xtreme04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2005, 10:58 PM   #21
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Synthetics are great. I'd read your owners manual for info on that though. I'd let the engine break in before you use the sythetics. At least 5k or 7500.
Matt Gertsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2005, 06:58 AM   #22
75SV1

First don't forget your oil filter. Use a good one. Napa Gold, Wix, Balwin (basically the same), Puralator Pure One are good choices. I'd check out Bob Is The Oil Guy website for more info. Also, if you do mainly Highway driving, then oil changes can be extended. Still, I'd suggest going 5K on oil changes on your new engine for warrany purposes. The cheap oils are probably today better than the premium oils of the 80's and early 90's. From what I've heard, even the cheap oils did well back then, you just had to change then at 2K, before the additives got used up. As far as aircraft engines, I think they usually run at a constant RPM. Thats like pure highway driving. Your engine will last a lot longer and a lot less stress on everything including oil. If I was running 80-90% highway miles, I'd consider running a good dino oil 5-7K over 3 months. Plus the worst for an engine is the short trips. Most of your wear is the startup. Also, if you don't run over 30 minutes, then the water isn't burned or boiled out of your oil. Synthetics are less hydroscopic than regular oils. I'm not knocking people who use conventional oils and change it reguarly. I just notice better performance with synthetics, and its worth the price to me. I justify the cost with extended oil change intervals. Hope this helps and enjoy your new jeep.
Tom
75SV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2005, 09:26 PM   #23
Xtreme04

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75SV1
First don't forget your oil filter. Use a good one. Napa Gold, Wix, Balwin (basically the same), Puralator Pure One are good choices. I'd check out Bob Is The Oil Guy website for more info. Also, if you do mainly Highway driving, then oil changes can be extended. Still, I'd suggest going 5K on oil changes on your new engine for warrany purposes. The cheap oils are probably today better than the premium oils of the 80's and early 90's. From what I've heard, even the cheap oils did well back then, you just had to change then at 2K, before the additives got used up. As far as aircraft engines, I think they usually run at a constant RPM. Thats like pure highway driving. Your engine will last a lot longer and a lot less stress on everything including oil. If I was running 80-90% highway miles, I'd consider running a good dino oil 5-7K over 3 months. Plus the worst for an engine is the short trips. Most of your wear is the startup. Also, if you don't run over 30 minutes, then the water isn't burned or boiled out of your oil. Synthetics are less hydroscopic than regular oils. I'm not knocking people who use conventional oils and change it reguarly. I just notice better performance with synthetics, and its worth the price to me. I justify the cost with extended oil change intervals. Hope this helps and enjoy your new jeep.
Tom
Thanks Tom...I agree
Xtreme04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.