What oil to use...? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > What oil to use...?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 12-29-2004, 10:04 AM   #1
Xtreme04

What oil to use...?

Does anyone have any suggestions on what oil to use...I have always ran Castrol GTX in all my other vehicles. I was thinking of running Synthetic in the Wrangler. What brand/kind of oil works best with the wrangler. I just bought the Wrangler with 900 Miles on it...I want to make sure I do everything right since this is my first time owning a Jeep. Thanks

Xtreme04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2004, 04:01 PM   #2
wes19d
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I just got my jeep yesterday so I havent had the chance to change the oil in it, however, I have always ran Mobil1 Synthetic 5w30(winter) and 10w30(summer) and it has been a great oil. I believe its high performance oriented though but it's one of the best oils you can buy off of the shelf. Good Luck

Wes
Unread 12-29-2004, 06:48 PM   #3
Xtreme04

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebadzxj
I just got my jeep yesterday so I havent had the chance to change the oil in it, however, I have always ran Mobil1 Synthetic 5w30(winter) and 10w30(summer) and it has been a great oil. I believe its high performance oriented though but it's one of the best oils you can buy off of the shelf. Good Luck

Wes

Thanks for your input Wes
Xtreme04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2004, 02:27 AM   #4
Av Native

I run nothing but castro gtx in my vehicles (Even my generator on the MH), The jeep calls for 10-30 on the 4.0.. I run castrol syntec 5w/20 in my wifes honda minivan, Alot more expensive when changing the oil in it, (21$$ for a 5 quart jug versus 9$$) I dont really notice a difference in synthetic over normal, Just make sure you change the oil every 3-5,000 miles and you should be ok with normal oil,
JC fab rockers and 1" seat lift
33"BFG MT's
Nth degree adjustable upper arm
Nth degree lower arms
Power trax front locker
Av Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2005, 10:17 PM   #5
PDshooter

I use PepBoys "El Cheapo" brand. 5w-30w motor oil. Change oil and filter every 7K NO PROBLEMS! if it has SAE star on the QT it's good enough for me !
MOS 63H 11B 43E
PDshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2005, 08:18 AM   #6
JasonMonette

If you want the best oil out there. You gotta go with AMSOIL. One year change intervals

Last edited by 4wheeler4CJ; 01-05-2005 at 11:28 AM..
JasonMonette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2005, 10:57 AM   #7
Av Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMonette
If you want the best oil out there. You gotta go with AMSOIL. One year change intervals
Somebody would have to be crazy to leave the same oil in there for year!!! I dont care what kind of oil it is. Even if it doesnt breakdown you still have the contaminits in there, I believe that would be labeled as motor death or jeep abuse
JC fab rockers and 1" seat lift
33"BFG MT's
Nth degree adjustable upper arm
Nth degree lower arms
Power trax front locker

Last edited by 4wheeler4CJ; 01-05-2005 at 11:28 AM..
Av Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2005, 11:50 AM   #8
LT1CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av Native
Somebody would have to be crazy to leave the same oil in there for year!!! I dont care what kind of oil it is. Even if it doesnt breakdown you still have the contaminits in there, I believe that would be labeled as motor death or jeep abuse
LT1CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2005, 11:58 AM   #9
JasonMonette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av Native

Before you make statements like that, do some research. I am not going to get into a shouting match about this. Just do you own research and make an EDUCATED choice.
Unread 01-05-2005, 11:31 AM   #10
4wheeler4CJ

Jason,

Please join the Vendor Program if you want to plug "your" oil or your business name. I have edited your posts and signature.
4wheeler4CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2005, 02:27 PM   #11
JasonMonette

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wheeler4CJ
Jason,

Please join the Vendor Program if you want to plug "your" oil or your business name. I have edited your posts and signature.
Ok, that was my intention, but thanks for the warning.

as for my signature, that is just a my website about home theater. Links aren't aloud either?
Unread 01-06-2005, 06:02 AM   #12
75SV1

I have used synthetics since the late 80's on and off. I am useing Mobil 1 in my '00 Contour SVT. I change it 5k while its under warranty. Mobil 1 can run 10K. Amsoil says it can run 25K, but thats with its addtional filter. I think 12-15K would be OK, on a clean running engine. I'd change the filter at 5-6K and top up, then run to 12-15K. I have a friend who owns a Mercedes. They won't change his oil till the oil change light comes on. Mercedes insist on systhetics (Mobil 1) in thier engines. There was a big lawsuite over it. My friend runs 20K between oil changes, when the light comes on. I notice 2mpg improvement with synthetics. So if an average person drive 12-15K, then once a year oil change is realistic. Might check on you transfer case and differentials and put synthetics in there. If you have the NV3550, then DC uses synthetics oil in it. Its expensive, but not much else works.
Tom
75SV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2005, 06:15 AM   #13
urbanassault

Coastal synthetic
urbanassault is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2005, 09:59 AM   #14
JasonMonette

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75SV1
Amsoil says it can run 25K, but thats with its addtional filter.

This is an incorrect statement. Depending on the type of oil, you can go 35k or 1 year between intervals, with changing your filter every 6 months or 15k and topping it off. You DO NOT need an additional filter. I have the heavy duty stuff in my Jeep and the change interval is 25k or 1 year.
Unread 01-06-2005, 11:15 AM   #15
75SV1

If your thinking of running over 10K on synthetic, then you better know your engine or have an oil sensor. Really depends on how clean your engine runs. Unless I see oil analysis, then I'd be hesitant. THe original poster also has to think about warranty. Check to see what the recomended oil changes are for the Wrangler. I would think 5K. You need to change at 5K for the extent of the warrany. Some cars are 7,500-10,000 for normal service. It doesn't define noramal service though. That might be pure highway driving.
I think the coastal oil was posted for the NV3550. I'd be interested in more info. Some were saying Penzoil in the NV3550 a while back. I have heard of it damaging the synchos, eating the brass.
The quality of the Dino stuff had improved. Some of them might be closer to a synthetic blend. I am happy running synthetics ,Mobil1 and Castrol, 10K in one of my cars. Still, above that make sure your engine runs clean and look for more info. On the trans, transfer case and differentials, you should be able to run a lot longer. You don't have to worry about combustion contaminants.
Tom
75SV1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.