What to look for? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > What to look for?

Custom Axle Work at CCORRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Swag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 05-17-2013, 08:39 PM   #1
sprocket56
1956 CJ5 

What to look for?

So, I'm pickin' up a 56 cj5 and it appears to me that it is totally bone stock. Where do I look to find out the types of gear box, transfer case, and axles. The brakes are completely shot so I'm gettin new M/C and W/C's just so I can get it to stop and then I should be able to get her running easy enough.
Thanks

sprocket56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 11:18 PM   #2
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

T90 trans
D18 t case
D44 tapered axles in back
Most probably a D25 in the front
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 07:04 AM   #3
sprocket56
1956 CJ5 

Do these components have tags or castings that will identify? They're totally caked with mud and grease of course. I've just gotta start scraping all the crap off. Thank you.
sprocket56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.