What is this filter for and are there alternatives to this filter? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > What is this filter for and are there alternatives to this filter?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-03-2013, 12:06 PM   #1
cj71985
1985 CJ7 

What is this filter for and are there alternatives to this filter?

I have a small filter sticking out of the top of my straight 6 engine. I thought maybe it was where a PVC valve or whatever it's call went. The one on mine looks burned out and just wondering if anyone new how important it is or what's it's job is.

cj71985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 12:12 PM   #2
cj71985
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj71985
I have a small filter sticking out of the top of my straight 6 engine. I thought maybe it was where a PVC valve or whatever it's call went. The one on mine looks burned out and just wondering if anyone new how important it is or what's it's job is.

image-2615376868.jpg

image-2289659193.jpg

Also here are some pics of the filter I'm talking about, you can see the end is cut out, I'm not sure if its like that for a reason or just burnt out because it was like this when I bout it a few years ago.
Unread 07-03-2013, 08:52 PM   #3
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Here you go;

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 12:02 PM   #4
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

It was originally plumbed into the stock air filter. This would allow the carb to pull in any blowby and burn it. Most "performance" air filters have a connection under the base for the tube to connect to. Since yours is so small (not a good thing), there isn't room for one. I would suggest either a larger enclosed housing or a larger open one with the inlet. This will also help keep the engine from building up an oil film on it's surface.
I hope it doesn't get too cold in your neck of the woods, since your missing your choke.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 12:22 PM   #5
cj71985
1985 CJ7 

Yeah it's a pain to start in the winter with the cold and I'm planning on installing a choke kit this fall. Thanks a lot for the info guys.
Unread 07-09-2013, 04:51 AM   #6
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

It's the intake for the PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) valve. THe PCV pulls in air/fumes from the crankcase to keep unburned smoke and oil out of the atmosphere. That filter is there so that you don't pull a vacum inside the engine. Without the filter you will be sucking in dirt sand and dust directly into the valve train. If your PCV is working and you still have fumes coming OUT of that filter you are getting excessive ring blowby and it's time for a rebuild.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.