what engine will work? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > what engine will work?

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-22-2007, 08:30 AM   #1
justdirtr/c

what engine will work?

i have a 2000 xj with a 4.0, and the engine is bad with only 115k. my mechanic said that two of the lobes wore off the cam. my question is if i buy an used engine will any year work or do i need to buy the same year. thanks

justdirtr/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2007, 12:09 PM   #2
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Why not just have that one stripped, cleaned, inspected then have the parts needed replaced and put back together?

BTW read my links to preventing that from happening again.

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2007, 01:30 PM   #3
justdirtr/c

i was worried about all the metal from the cam going thru the rest of the engine and messing up bearings and all that in the bottom of the engine. the guy that it is working on it told me he drained the oil that it seemed to have a lot of oil in it.
i did read about how to prevent it from your links, but it was after it already happened. oh well i guess it won't happen again. thanks
Unread 07-22-2007, 01:49 PM   #4
RWB214

Quote:
Originally Posted by justdirtr/c
the guy that it is working on it told me he drained the oil that it seemed to have a lot of oil in it.
Something that came to mind when I read that part that the mech may have forgotten - the 4.0 uses 6+ quarts of oil, whereas the majority of engines out there use less than 5. Look at any coupon for an oil change, it usually says "up to 5 qt." I say 6+ for the 4.0 because if you run an oversize oil filter like many of us do it will hold between 6 and 7 qts to the top mark on the dipstick.

If you do need a new engine, I would focus on 2000 or 2001. The distributorless ignition system was introuduced in 2000 so prior engines may need some extra modification and/or a different PCM to be complatible.
RWB214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2007, 02:19 PM   #5
justdirtr/c

sorry that was a mis-print. my mechanic told me it seemed to have a lot of metal in the oil. sorry
Unread 07-22-2007, 02:44 PM   #6
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

A good machine shop will hot tank the block and run brushes through all oil ways.
The block should be spotless when they are done.
It is safe to have it rebuilt.

Dwayne
Unread 07-22-2007, 02:47 PM   #7
justdirtr/c

yeah i'm thinking i will have it rebuilt. thanks for all the help.
Unread 07-22-2007, 03:05 PM   #8
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

While they are in there have them bore it over .060 install a 4.2 crank n rods with the .060 4.0 pistons dynamicaly balance it and enjoy the extra power for very little extra cash. If you use the 4.2 serp balancer you don't need to have the crank snout machined either

Dwayne

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.